Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rash - does chicken pox start to blister quite soon after first spots appear?

(10 Posts)
Flier Mon 22-Sep-08 13:37:04

on Saturday evening I noticed a rash on DS' back, which i thought looked like a heat rash. They have now gone into his "nether regions" and bottom, but not anywhere else, he has a slightly raised temp. He hasn't had chicken pox, so I thought that maybe this is the start of it, but my friend just told me that if it was, they would have started to blister over by now - is this true?

Seona1973 Mon 22-Sep-08 13:57:06

yes I would have thought some of them would have blistered by now as they should pretty much all be blistered over and scabby by around day 5-7.

sameagain Mon 22-Sep-08 14:00:10

Yes - It doesn't sound like chiken pox TBH. That tends to start with 1-2 spots (rather than a rash IYSWIM) and then they are quickly coverred with blisters.

It does sound like heatrash, which apparently is nothing to do with heat, but often just an indication that they are a bit under the weather (can often follow a cold or other virus) Is he well in himself?

TBH, if it's lasted 2-3 days I'd probably take him to Dr (although I would expect to be told there was nothing to worry about if he's basically well)

littleboo Mon 22-Sep-08 14:04:27

any on his hands or feet - could be hand foot and mouth - often in nappy area as well.

Flier Mon 22-Sep-08 14:12:49

nothing on hands or feet, will pop to gps and see what they say, thanks

littleboo Mon 22-Sep-08 14:14:40

prob something viral - urticaria - has he had a cough or cold, etc recently?

Flier Mon 22-Sep-08 14:19:52

he hasn't been unwell recently at all, no.

littleboo Mon 22-Sep-08 14:21:45

might be viral then flier - often rash comes out after recent illnes, sore throat etc. prob good idea to get him checked if you're worried, otherwise general calpol, lots to drink, keep him cool and see how it goes. Hope he's better soon.

pushchair Mon 22-Sep-08 14:24:03

DD2 has chicken pox, started with spots on stomach and back on friday am and got blistered on sat pmish

Flier Mon 22-Sep-08 14:28:13

thanks everyone. hate wasting the gps time, don't want to go to be told its just a viral thing smile will leave it till morning I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now