Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! very unhappy 7 week old has cold... what can we do for the cough

(6 Posts)
cityangel Mon 22-Sep-08 10:17:07

My 7 week old ds is very grizzly with new in pain type cries He has a lot of snot/clear mucus we have been removing with the nasal aspirator. No high temperature after checking more than is needed (first time Mum) but does feel hot. He's also got more wind and usually has very little.

The worst cold like symptom is a mucusy gurgle & cough and seems particularly unhappy/in pain lying flat. Breastfeeding him seems to help for comfort and maybe its soothing his throat hmm
Does anyone have any cough remedy ideas as he's too little for most of the medication?

laraeo Mon 22-Sep-08 11:26:57

I posted about colds too - see "colds question". My DS is a bit older but some of the advice still holds. We're tilting the cot mattress, using saline nasal drops, occasionally aspirating and are off to get some of the oil/plug ins suggested. He gets the same type of cough in the am especially. I hate colds.

cityangel Mon 22-Sep-08 11:32:55

thanks laraeo I shall go and find it. Its making me very miserable this morning as he's clearly in a lot of discomfort and I don't feel I'm doing enough to help get rid of it. Do you know how long on average they last?

laraeo Mon 22-Sep-08 13:17:16

I'm not sure but I've read from 7 - 10 days. All of the menthol/eucalyptus vaporisors I found were from 3 months on. I'm a first time mum too - you might want to call your hv/gp for more advice.

cityangel Mon 22-Sep-08 18:29:09

thanks lareo I need to do some more research that's for sure. the worst part is when he chokes on the mucus

skydancer1 Sun 28-Sep-08 15:43:40

Probably good to have something under his mattress to raise his head /chest up a bit (so not lying completely flat but at an angle - obviously no pillow directly under his head). Easier to breathe that way when stuffed up with mucus. I think oil burners with a drop of eucalyptus/tea tree oil are good - and/or just a bowl of boiled water in the room if you don't have a vapouriser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now