Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

just started reception & off with impetigo

(7 Posts)
ohnoimpetigo Mon 22-Sep-08 00:23:58

Namechanged for this.

My dd only started reception a few weeks ago, but caught impetigo last week and so had to have a few days off school. She's hopefully going back to school tomorrow, but what should I say to the other Mums at the school gate that I've only just started to get to know? They are bound to ask why she's been off. Should I say impetigo, be vague, or say something else? My Mum says impetigo is shameful, so am really worried about mentioning it - I'm a respectable middle class mum; it's a respectable middle class school; will I be ostracised forever if I admit it's impetigo? Really don't want to lie, but worried. What would you say?

cornsilk Mon 22-Sep-08 00:31:09

It's not shameful at all - it is very contagious which is why your dd caught it. Don't worry - ignore your mum - my mum thinks like that about things as well. The other mums will NOT think you are not respectable!

LadyPenelope Mon 22-Sep-08 03:19:00

My dd had it when she was about 3 - I didn't know what it was and left it longer than necessary to go to the doctor. As it's so contagious, it's good if other parents know that it's doing the rounds, what it is and how to spot it in the early stages ... means they can get it sorted out faster.
My dd's school send out newsletters when it's going round school to warn parents to look out for it and keep kids off if they have it.
Definitely not shameful just another childhood illness... nits next!!!

Pushpinia Mon 22-Sep-08 06:34:45

You could say 'Oh she had a little infection, she is fine now' and they will make of that what they will. smile

I remember when ds2 had measles (or so we thought) there was one mum who was quite gossipy and very concerned and I am sure people avoided us a bit.

I wasn't taking him in while contagious - I made sure I left him with my mother and just took ds1 in myself.

People can be a bit hmm though.

Lemontart Mon 22-Sep-08 07:14:46

Def not shameful and def something that you should be able to talk about just as if it were a heavy cold or a stomach bug. Reality means that not all playgrounds are as friendly or sensible as they should be. I have recently witnesses our rural middle class "marks and spencers" type school turn medieval in it’s response to a letter home informing us that nits are back. The clandestine witch hunt to find out who, which families and which classes has been plain nasty.
So despite my first statement, personally I would not mention nits or impetigo in the playground - ever. Sad but true. Just not worth the hassle or the behind the back bitching. Your playground might not be quite the shark pool ours seems to be, but just be a little careful who you say what to as it could even affect which children invite your child back to for playdates (I hate writing this but it is the honest truth based on my rather soured experience of the playground from hell).
Sorry for the negative response.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 22-Sep-08 10:02:08

My feelings are different on this one - I would say its impetigo, cos if your dd has it then its quite probable others will have it. A lot of parents are in denial about their kids having it until its really spread and it may well prompt them to go and get their childs dodgy weepy patch of skin sorted!
There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed about - its just a staph infection, if your dd had a bacterial throat infection you wouldnt be ashamed!

Pushpinia Mon 22-Sep-08 10:10:53

Ok you could say 'impetigo, caught no doubt form so and so over there, whose parents are shockingly neglectful and I have asked them not to sit her next to him but you know what these TAs are like' etc etc wink

That's just evil really though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now