Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Poo - 3.5 days and counting

(7 Posts)
nickymorris Sun 21-Sep-08 20:05:47

My DS's bowels have suddenly changed from producing every other nappy to:

Monday evening
Thursday lunchtime
And nothing since

Everyone says it's not possible to constipate a BF baby but at what point do I worry.

The poos have also changed from being runny yellow splats to thick green/yellow slime - it comes out like paint from a tube.

Things that have changed in the last week are - we were both on Nystin for thrush but have come off that on Wed morining. I have started taking colpermin as I was worried I was going to have an IBS attack - started on Wed/Thursday.

DS does quite a lot of vile smelling farts and occasionally farts out a little 'skid mark' on his nappy....

Seona1973 Sun 21-Sep-08 20:08:08

what age is he? From 5/6 weeks or so it can be quite normal for a bf baby to go 7 days (or sometimes more) between poos withough being constipated.

wilkos Sun 21-Sep-08 20:10:26

how old is he? until dd was eating solids she could go days without having a poo, well 2-3 days anyway.
if he is old enough have you tried a little dilute orange juice/ prune juice on a teaspoon?

prune juice does have a similar effect to dynamite tho so be warned!

nickymorris Sun 21-Sep-08 20:23:33

DS will be 6 weeks on Tuesday - so I guess the prune juice is out!

LuLuBai Mon 22-Sep-08 09:59:46

don't worry too much - several babies I know only pood twice a week in the first few months. If he is just bf he's probably OK.

idontbelieveit Mon 22-Sep-08 10:20:47

don't worry. My dd went 10 days regularly at that age. If he's happy and weeing then it's normal. I think if it gets to 10 days you should go to docs. Every time i was about to take dd she would do the world's biggest super poo that no nappy could contain. If it gets to a week start covering the pushchair and don't leave the house without a change of clothes for your baby!grin

nickymorris Mon 22-Sep-08 13:31:09

Was just reading this last post and chuckling about the 'super-poo' phrase when DS went a bit quiet and then pulled the most satisfied face you can imagine....

Then the smell reached me...

Yep - he's done his poo - nothing like having to spend a good 10 minutes cleaning up 5 day's worth of crap :-)

but panic over!!

thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now