Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Circular blotches

(21 Posts)
pudding25 Sun 21-Sep-08 11:38:09

DD is just over 4mths. When she was a few wks old, she had eczema and we were given Aveeno cream which got rid of it. She still has a little bit on the backs of her legs/if it gets really hot but her face is pretty much ok.

For the past week, she has had a couple of circular blotches on her face which won't go away. It is a ring of red and in the middle it is slightly paler than the rest of her skin.

Do you think this is eczema/amything to worry about it - or do you just think I am a neurotic first time mum???

LaTrucha Sun 21-Sep-08 11:40:29

It's probably something very minor that a cream from the GP will sort out. I had something which sounds similar recently and it turned out to be a fungus - which sounds awful, but is apparently completely benign. A cream sorted it in a trice.

smeeinit Sun 21-Sep-08 11:41:27

it sounds to me like ring worm?
my eldest had this a couple of times,not sure how its picked up......think can come from pets, cat,dog??
does it look like this?

trefusis Sun 21-Sep-08 11:42:29

Message withdrawn

trefusis Sun 21-Sep-08 11:43:53

Message withdrawn

piratecat Sun 21-Sep-08 11:45:21

was also going to suggest ringworm

LaTrucha Sun 21-Sep-08 11:47:11

I thought mine was ringworm, but it wasn't. Thought ringworm would sound a bit scary to the OP!

Kbear Sun 21-Sep-08 11:52:47

eczema appears in different forms, read up about discoid eczema, that appears in circular blotches.

This is from netdoctor.com

General

This type of eczema shows as discrete coin-shaped patches of eczema on the limbs. It can occur:

on otherwise normal skin

with generally dry skin

with atopic eczema.

Appearance

The affected areas have a well-defined edge and are red. On top there are often small blisters, scales or crusts. This often reflects the fact that they are infected with bacteria.

Usually the pattern of skin lesions (affected areas) on the limbs is symmetrical. The lesions are very itchy, so thickening of the skin (lichenification) is common. Because of their well-defined margins, lesions of discoid eczema can be confused for fungal infections of the skin (ringworm) or for contact eczema.

pudding25 Sun 21-Sep-08 12:15:54

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH Going to the Dr tomorrow - it doesnt look like that smeeinit . It is only a tiny bit red.

Crappin myself now in case it is though. We don't have any pets. Best friend (who's house we are at tons) has 2 cats but apart from once, they don't go near dd (and she has 3 kids, including one dd's age who have nothing like this).

Hoping it is just her eczema.....

LackaDAISYcal Sun 21-Sep-08 12:20:16

sounds like ringworm to me as well, but it's nothing to be worried about. Canesten cream or other topical antifungal will clear it up, but it is pretty contagious so scrupulous hygiene is necessary.

smeeinit Sun 21-Sep-08 12:28:38

pudding,dont worry!
ringworm really is nothing to worry about so dont panic!
its easily treated with cream.
thtas if it is ringworm of course!! grin

please dont worry.smile

LaTrucha Sun 21-Sep-08 12:32:48

Yes. Ringworm isn't actually scary, it just sounds it.

pudding25 Sun 21-Sep-08 13:08:45

I feel sick (am so squeamish). She only has 2 of these blotches and they are on her face.

How would she have caught it? From my friend's cat?????

technics Sun 21-Sep-08 13:12:27

ringworm is incredibly contagious so much so it can easily be picked up from something like a changing mat.

please don't worry, canesten or similar cream will clear it up very quickly smile

Fizzylemonade Sun 21-Sep-08 22:18:39

I had a form of ringworm, just pale patches, no red ring round the outside, had them years but as they didn't look like ringworm I never bothered to go to the GP.

One day they started to get bigger and new ones appeared, I went to docs and was given fungal cream and they disappeared.

We do not have pets, I don't have any friends who have pets so it was a shocker! It made me feel ill because of the implications that somehow I was dirty blush with this fungus growing on my skin!!!

pudding25 Sun 21-Sep-08 22:42:01

Oh so hoping it is her eczema. Going to try to get appt tomorrow at drs but they are like golddust.

LuLuBai Mon 22-Sep-08 10:05:15

It really does sound like ringworm.

DD had ringworm when she was only 5 months old. We do have a cat and I took him to the vet for all sorts of tests. He didn't have it, but we treated him anyway and boil washed everything he had ever slept on as I thought they might start infecting each other. We never found out where she had caught it from but it healed quickly and she never got it again.

Get some cream from the doc and be prepared to do lots and lots of laundry.

pudding25 Mon 22-Sep-08 13:26:59

Got an appointment for later but it seems to have faded... Will take her anyway.

messageinabottle Mon 22-Sep-08 23:30:52

how did your appointment go pudding

pudding25 Tue 23-Sep-08 14:01:03

Not had a chance to post - HURRAH!!!! It is her eczema! grin The dr looked at me like I was nuts but I am glad I got it checked out anyway.

Thanks everyone for helping.

messageinabottle Wed 24-Sep-08 10:23:19

hurrah!

now you will need to post for some advice on eczema lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now