Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flat feet - is it really right to ignore them until your child is 4 or 5?

(6 Posts)
artichokes Sat 20-Sep-08 20:10:05

DD is 2.1 and we have noticed that she has no arches and that she puts a lot of weight on the inside of her ankles so they bend in.
A med student friend agreed it was quite pronounced and recommended we get a referall ASAP as early physio etc is best.

Yesterday I took DD to the GP who said many children with flat feet develop arches by 5 years and that early intervention starts at around 5 years. She said to come back in 3 years if DD still has flat feet.

Does this chime with advice others have been given or should I push for a referral?

weepootle Sat 20-Sep-08 20:13:12

I've had the same concern about my dd since she was very young- both myself and dh have flat feet too. I've asked different doctors about it and been told the same as you. I'm going to make an appointment for this week as dd is almost 4 to see what they say. I've read of others on here say they got referrals at age 3.

Elibean Sun 21-Sep-08 00:07:13

We saw GP who referred us to paeds orthopedics department - she had ankels turning in on one side, and was dragging that foot behind her a bit (at 20 months). She had her hips checked by scan, then saw head physio who said exactly what you have been told by your GP.

dd is now 2 months and her ankle is better than two months ago already - so I suppose physio was right. She also said insole supports were needed only around the age of 10 or so - and then really only if ankles are causing problems/pain.

dh has similar problem, and has no problems - but has insoles he uses some of the time. The problem, apparently, is not fixable as such - but can be managed easily.

HTH!

Elibean Sun 21-Sep-08 00:08:31

ankles, that is.

cory Mon 22-Sep-08 21:06:02

Ds needed insole supports a bit earlier than 10 though: he was in pain by the time he was 7, so got insoles then.

artichokes Tue 23-Sep-08 12:33:29

Thanks for all this advice. I guess our GP was right and we should just wait it out. I take it from your comments leaning-in on your ankles is a common effect of flat feet? It is the angle of her ankle that I notive much more than her lack of arches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now