Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Jaundice still in a 4 week old - is that normal?

(8 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 17:09:00

DS as quite jaundice when born - not enough for treatment or anything though. We both went back to hospital after 2 days for 5 days and they didn't really say anything about it - it did go away alot though. Now at 4 weeks DS is still i'd say quite jaundice in his eyes. He is fully BF (MW said it lasts longer when they are) and he does feed alot and I have been putting him in the sun (not full on hot sun) but it seems to have stopped getting better. What do I do? HV said if I was worried take him to GP to go for a bloodtest, but when he was in hospital he had alot of bloodtests and nothing came up (not sure if whatever you'd look for in a jaundice bloodtest would show in a bloodtest for infections) but then could something be wrong now that maybe wasn't then? Or is it still normal? THanks

sclubheaven Fri 19-Sep-08 17:18:02

Your HV wasn't very helpful really - she should be telling you if this is normal or not and whether to see the GP rather than 'if you're worried'.

Without wishing to alarm you I've just found this on nhs direct - It says if it hasn't dissapeared after a few weeks see your GP. You should get him looked at to be safe.

sclubheaven Fri 19-Sep-08 17:26:36

sorry that last link didn't go to the right page try this

sclubheaven Fri 19-Sep-08 17:28:32

Hi ladyofwaffle link doesn't seem to work properly. If you search for jaundice in newborns and look under Treatment you will find the page with the information smile

Flossish Fri 19-Sep-08 17:29:27

they will be checking his billuribin level - not the same kind of test as for an infection. IIRC it did take quite a long time (prob about 6 weeks) for Ds's jaundice to fade, he did require light therapy and I seem to think I was told to expect that. If you are concerned go to the GP. Is he awake for good periods of time and feeding regularly?

zoo123 Fri 19-Sep-08 17:31:23

HV is right, you need to take him to gp/local hospital for a blood test. FAct that he had numerous tests previously is irrelevant. They need to check his serum bilirubin as elevated levels can cause serious complications. Jaundice should have resolved by 14 days. I'd ring the emergency service who can arrange for bloodtest on local paediatric ward tonight.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 19-Sep-08 17:31:25

BLimey, i'll definatly take him to GPs.

2Happy Fri 19-Sep-08 17:33:58

Both of mine had prolonged jaundice, both times due to breastmilk jaundice, which is where something in the milk itself causes the jaundice. It's normally mild, and the baby is otherwise healthy in every way and putting on weight. It was less obvious with ds1, but more so with ds2, and I eventually plucked up courage to see my GP who referred to the local hospital as a precaution. They examined him and did a blood test and was all ok. It lasted until he was 6 or 8 weeks IIRC. Search on kellymom, or MN!, there'll be plenty of info. But better to get him checked to be on the safe side. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now