Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My nearly 3-year-old refuses to pooh

(5 Posts)
Fifi123 Fri 19-Sep-08 17:08:06

My DD refuses to pooh in the nappy, toilet or potty. She has had a biopsy on her bowel at the beginning of this year and bowel disease has been ruled out. Then thanks to advice I found on mumsnet, I started giving her rewards - ie - chocolate buttons, every time she pooed, and loads of encouragement. The result? She poohed on the toilet practically every day for 5 months. She had a sore patch on her bum four weeks ago and now we're back to square one. I've tried everything rewards, charts with stickers, being calm, being firm -- I'm all out of ideas and so frustrated. I'm having to use suppositories every three days for her. Has anyone any experience of this - I'm desperate! X

Fifi123 Fri 19-Sep-08 17:18:40

Oh and one more thing to add, she is on high doses of Movicol and lactulose which is keeping the poo soft, but she still won't let it out!

cornsilk Fri 19-Sep-08 17:26:46

sad for you - my ds went through a phase of being scared to poo after being constipated. I saw on an american website this decorated screen thing that you can put around the potty to make it fun - you caould make your own out of card.

mrsgboring Fri 19-Sep-08 17:27:03

Oh huge sympathies. We have a milder version of this round here and it's such a worry.

I've heard of children with soreness being given a local anaesthetic spray to be used when poo is coming, but the problem is, I assume, getting DD to let go and relax enough to get to that stage.

Hope someone more knowledgeable can help you.

Fifi123 Fri 19-Sep-08 17:53:51

Hi mrsgboring and cornsilk - both of those are ideas I hadn't thought of. It's worth a go. Good luck mrsgboring, hope your problem gets better soon. It is so worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now