Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ds's nappies are *vile*, mostly teething I think. Would you stop his...

(10 Posts)
phdlife Fri 19-Sep-08 09:56:30

a) milk? (cow's milk I mean, which he loves as well as bfing)
b) other dairy?
c) fruit (he has at least 2 serves a day - is a fiend for it)
d) nurofen?
e) pulses - he eats beany things several times a week

his poos are rank and burning his bottom and have been for a while. not to mention they are a sod to clean (real nappies)!

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Sep-08 21:44:54

Cut out citrus fruit

Use sudocrem every nappy change for a week, it should clear up.

BTW their bum skin does get tougher over time so things that cause problems at six months tend to not do so by nine months

p.s. Nurofen is not a food group wink

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Sep-08 21:46:04

Oh and paper nappy liners btw are the answer to the poop stain problem.

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Sep-08 21:49:58

if it's teething then I wouldn't stop anything.

SmugColditz Fri 19-Sep-08 21:51:24

Cut citrus fruit, fruit juice and TBH try cutting pulses as they might be rough on his bottom

We found sudocrem made things worse, but metanuim was FANTASTC

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 21:51:38

Or use fleece liners if you don't mind them getting stained. wmmc is right about the sudocrem imo.

If any of the fruit is dried then cut that out.

We have not noticed a problem with dairy or cows' milk. (in fact in our case I wouldn't cut the cows' milk out as she has 8oz before bed and I would worry she wouldn't settle without a tummy full of milk)

Re the pulses - if he is usually ok with them then imo it should be ok to continue, or perhaps cut down slightly.

Also if you use "normal" baby wipes don't at the moment. Use warm water and cotton wool. (or at least use warm water and cotton wool aftr the wipe to get rid of the residue that the wipes leave.) Dry bottom with a little flannel/towel before the cream.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 19-Sep-08 22:06:04

BTW if you are unhappy with the idea of sudocrem or don't have any, whipped egg white does the same job - paint it on, let it dry (don't use your pastry brush! hmm) and it does a fab job particularly overnight.

Oh and we bulk bought very cheap flannels from the poundshop ( think there were ten in there) and used them as nappy liners during DDs most heinous poo stage. They got stained to hell but the nappies remained pristine.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 19-Sep-08 22:08:15

Thankfully the forecast is sunny for most of the UK over the weekend so get those nappies pegged out so the sun can bleach out the poo stains.

Sushipaws Fri 19-Sep-08 22:25:02

Ashton Parson teething powder, works a treat.

Don't know what it does but it turns the acid poo's to normal poo's.

phdlife Sat 20-Sep-08 11:47:42

thank you for all this, am already doing a lot of it

it's not the staining that bothers me tbh - after all nappies are designed for catching poo - it's just trying to get the poo off the liners (fleece) and everything else. It is wet enough to shoot out the sides of his legs but not wet enough to 'flick' off the nappy hmm. Am resorting to wet-pailing and it's horrid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now