Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd2 has just been accidentally "butted"by ds1....thick lip but has stopped bleeding

(13 Posts)
cutekids Fri 19-Sep-08 08:45:25

do I take her to be checked out anyway or do I just let it settle? It's a bit puffy underneath the lip inside her mouth but I think it's stopped.

LilRedWG Fri 19-Sep-08 08:47:30

Ice lollies and lots of them will cheer her up and take the swelling down.

belgo Fri 19-Sep-08 08:49:09

how old is she? My main concern would be her teeth.

cutekids Fri 19-Sep-08 08:49:21

it looks like she's put her tooth through her top lip/gum.i know the mouth is a good self-healer,but should she get a stitch?

cutekids Fri 19-Sep-08 08:50:29

she's 8...and she so disgusted with how she looks(?)that we had to turn back on the way to school...much to the anger of my other two!

belgo Fri 19-Sep-08 08:50:43

I think it's quite unusual to put a stitch in the lip. Maybe phone your GP?

sclubheaven Fri 19-Sep-08 08:50:56

If you have any arnica give her some - it will take the swelling down a treat.

It almost certainly wont need a doctor to see it unless she's very badly hurt.

sclubheaven Fri 19-Sep-08 08:52:14

My DS1 did this the other day - once the bleeding stopped it did heal remarkably quickly.

lulalullabye Fri 19-Sep-08 08:52:20

They don't stitch lips unless the wound is all the way through the lip, front to back. Best thing is ice and lots of rinsing after eating. It may get infected, then go to gp and get anti biotics if necessary then but now just see how it goes.

cutekids Fri 19-Sep-08 08:52:48

OMG!...she's just put lipstick on to disguise it...what is going on here?

belgo Fri 19-Sep-08 08:56:18

tell her not to use the lipstick, that could increase the chance of infection.

If she doesn't mind putting lipstick on it, then it's probably not that bad.

cutekids Fri 19-Sep-08 09:24:16

I love her to buttons but I can't believe how vain she is...I told her to take the lipstick off but she wasn't happy.Now I feel a fraud for keeping her back from school but on the other hand,if it had happened there,they'd've probably sent for me anyway.Oh well....

LilRedWG Fri 19-Sep-08 12:01:53

DD is two and fell onto a table edge, putting two teeth through her tongue - ouch! there was a lot of blood and she was having trouble with her neck. I took her to minor injuries and it turned out she had minor whiplash from the force of the accident but they just prescribed ice lollies for the mouth. They said it would heal itself better if left alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now