Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Apart from through the NHS, is there anywhere I could get my DS's hearing tested?

(8 Posts)
mm22bys Thu 18-Sep-08 22:15:49


We have concerns about our DS's hearing. He seems selective about when he responds to us, and he is playing up at school (he is 4 so has just started Reception).

I would like to get his hearing tested.

What is the quickest way to go about this?

I have an appointment with the NHS GP tomorrow to discuss our concerns re DS, but I do not want to wait for the NHS to do it's thing (DS2 had hearing concerns a year ago and we ended up going private after he failed his NHS test - just did not want to wait!).

Who do I approach? A private GP for a private referral? the Deaf Childrens Society?

Thanks in advance,

whomovedmychocolate Thu 18-Sep-08 22:41:54

Your GP can refer you to a private clinic or there are a few high street hearing test services (generally within opticians). Yellow pages may be of service in finding one in your area.

ivykaty44 Thu 18-Sep-08 22:43:36

Go to the opticians, they often do hearing aswell as eyes.

HRHMamazon Thu 18-Sep-08 22:45:27

was going to say specsavers too. but i am not sure if they will test children under 5 asthey are more difficult. i imagine they would just reffer you to teh hospital.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 18-Sep-08 22:49:28

The waiting lists for children's hearing tests are very short anyway. Esp if you don't mind going a little bit further than your nearest hospital.

mm22bys Fri 19-Sep-08 07:16:15

Thanks, I'll make some phone calls this morning!

bigcar Fri 19-Sep-08 08:06:44

Hi mm

I know someone who took their ds here and was very happy with their service, despite the journey from London! I don't think the NDCS will recommend private audiologists but you could try posting on their parent place to see if anyone could suggest somewhere closer.

mm22bys Fri 19-Sep-08 09:44:44

Thanks Bigcar.

As I suspected, there would be a long wait for even an initial NHS test (three months in my area shock)

I rang up NDCS, got a website of consultants, but I did ring up Chear as well, they are a fair way from London, but she did recommend the Portland, so I think I'll go down that route.

Thanks again,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: