Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any recommendations for treating 8mo old DDs cough?

(9 Posts)
lazyhen Thu 18-Sep-08 18:43:55

I can't bear it! It's a frequent thing... We have seen out of hours GP (and actually A&E at one point) but no prescribed medication as they say it's a virus.

We've given Ibuprofen, Calpol and Tixylix oh and saline drops up the nose, rasied the head of the bed, lots of steam!

Anything else please?

NotQuiteCockney Fri 19-Sep-08 09:41:35

Kids normally cough for a reason. If you're sure it's not asthma (and I'm guessing GP would have worked that out), I'd recommend steaming most of all (keep her in the room for a shower?), and just cope, I'm afraid.

lazyhen Fri 19-Sep-08 10:43:32

I was really worried about it being asthma but I was told that they wouldn't diagnose that for a few more years.

She does come in the bathroom for steam whilst we shower which doesn't seem to make a massive difference but easy enough to do so will keep doing it!

Jennyusedtobepink Fri 19-Sep-08 10:45:55

Sorry to be ignorant, but what does a cough have to do with asthma? Genuine question.

lazyhen Fri 19-Sep-08 10:46:59

Wheezing - lack of oxygen - general respiratory distress

Jennyusedtobepink Fri 19-Sep-08 10:47:58

But isn't coughing different to wheezing? Sorry to be thick!

isittooearlytogotobed Fri 19-Sep-08 11:38:27

asthma in babies can show as a cough, my DD has this. its normally worse at night, and can sound like a bronchial wet cough

even thou they wont diagnose it as asthma till they are older (3 or 4 i think) they can still prescribe an inhaler

my dd is 3 now and its under control with 2 inhalers, 2 puffs of each at morning and night - one is a preventer and one is a reliever

Ask your GP to refer you to an asthma clinic to get her checked out, and dont panic, i was devastated thinking shed be the wheezy kid who couldnt do any physical activities but she is fine

lazyhen Fri 19-Sep-08 19:52:31

Thanks - that is helpful. She was given an inhaler with face mask in A&E and it made no difference (we didn't go home with it).

I have decided to reduce the amount of cows milk product in her diet as I think that can affect amount of mucous.

Just went to check on her and her breathing isn't as loud as it has been, (after soya formula tonight). Might be just co-incidence but I like to feel that I'm doing something.

isittooearlytogotobed Tue 23-Sep-08 10:29:36

how is your daughter now lazyhen?

i spoke too soon re mine, she had a cold at weekend and the asthma has flared up - we have had to increase the inhaler dose

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now