Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD 3.5 crying with pain in her head/neck-any ideas?

(19 Posts)
whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 16:45:51

Called by nursery to pick her up as she had been asleep (never slept before at school)and was very distressed.

What age can children get headaches?

She says the pain is at the top of her head and back of her neck......

Given her some Nurofen just wonder if I should be more concerned....

MinkyBorage Thu 18-Sep-08 16:46:29

I'd whizz her by the GP

MinkyBorage Thu 18-Sep-08 16:46:58

Quite quickly actually, is she OK looking at light?

midnightexpress Thu 18-Sep-08 16:47:53

Me too. Without tryingto alarm you, it is a symptom of meningitis, so I would always get this checked out. Though it will hopefully be nothing, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Flier Thu 18-Sep-08 16:47:54

phone your gp and tell them, i'm sure they'll get you to see them asap.

whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 16:49:23

That was what was worrying me actually-anything else I can check?

I have an appt for me at 5.30 but will take her instead.

Mercy Thu 18-Sep-08 16:50:29

Any fever or vomiting?

At least you already have an appt soon.

Flier Thu 18-Sep-08 16:51:40

any rashes?

symptoms

whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 16:54:10

Thanks for this-she certainly has a few of those symptoms although Nurofen seems to be kicking in now.
She has sensitive eyes anyway so doesn't seem to be any more sensitive than usual.

whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 16:57:47

Now I sound a bit nerotic but would the nurofen mask the symptoms?

Flier Thu 18-Sep-08 16:58:15

hope she's ok- will you post after you've been to gp and let us know how you get on?

whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 16:58:46

Neurotic even....

Flier Thu 18-Sep-08 17:00:03

its going to mask the pain and any inflammation, naturally, but you'll soon be at the gps, try not to worry.

whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 17:00:55

Thanks for all the advice-will let you know what happens.

whooosh Thu 18-Sep-08 18:06:09

So guess what the doc said...no prizes.............................................................................................. ..........................................Virushmm

MinkyBorage Thu 18-Sep-08 18:10:19

Well at least they're happy it's not meningitis. I did a first aid course a while ago, and when it came to talking about meningitis, I was so disappointed, because what it boiled down to was that many of the symptoms are likely to happen with lots of other ailments, e.g. cold hands and feet is classic fever sympton as is blothchy (not rash) skin, also the rash is such a late sign of meningitis that it's apparently unlikely you wouldn't have got it checked out before that arrives. I learned that if you think they're unwell, take them to the doctors, and was none the wiser re meningitis after the course than |I was before.
If you're not convinced she's OK, then take her back in or to a & e. Glad she's OK though.

Flier Thu 18-Sep-08 18:50:28

thanks for posting back whooosh, glad its nothing too serious.

midnightexpress Fri 19-Sep-08 11:30:21

How's your dd this morning whooosh?

whooosh Fri 19-Sep-08 11:47:12

She compained her head hurt again this morning but again,nurofen seem to have helped.She says it hurts when she runs.
Am going to see how she is this afternoon once the medicine has worn off and go from there...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now