Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blinking lots

(8 Posts)
Twixabix Thu 18-Sep-08 13:09:06

I have noticed that my ds seems to blink alot in certain situations. He started pre-school last week and the teacher pulled me to the side yesterday to say that they had noticed it. I have noticed it before but thought he only done it when he was tired. I also mentioned it to my friend and she said that she has noticed it to when he is in new situation.

Any clues as to why or what it could be?

Thanks

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 13:11:50

It could be that he needs glasses, maybe an eye check would be a good idea? smile
Sometimes a body makes extra energy aswell and blinking can be a release. I would get the eyes checked first and take him to the GP if they are OK.

mackerel Thu 18-Sep-08 13:14:44

My DS does this too. He is 7 and it comes and goes but tends to re-emerge when he is in what i guess is a stressful situation eg just starting back at school in a new year group. It is a kind of tic and will prob. resolve itself . I've always taken the approach that it is best to just ignore it and not draw his attention to it, whilst bearing in mind that DS is obv. under stress and helping him cope with that.

Twixabix Thu 18-Sep-08 13:15:25

Thanks avenanap, i'll get him booked in to have them checked. How do they check childrens eyes as he's only 3 and can't read??

Twixabix Thu 18-Sep-08 13:17:36

Mackerel - i think this might be the same for my ds. He is a VERY shy little boy and I try to encourage him to take part in things to get himself a little more outgoing. My friend mentioned that he was fine when he was with her little boy but when she took him to her sisters house he started blinking. Think i'll get his eyes tested first and they if they are okay i'll put it down as a little tick kinda thing

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 13:21:00

They all should have eye tests around this age. The HV should sort it out. They can test them at 3 anywhere.

Twixabix Thu 18-Sep-08 17:29:59

Thanks ladies - Have just been to the opticians and had his eyes tested. They say that he has got 20/20 vision so it must just be a tired/nervous thing.

rydercup Thu 18-Sep-08 19:19:38

Hi - just to reassure you, my little boy did exactly the same thing.... the optician checked his eyes and did say it is quite common for kids to get little 'tics' and they usually grow out of them....my son did...within about 6 months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now