Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD walking and turning inwards her right foot

(17 Posts)
ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 17-Sep-08 17:08:43

When she was small she had foot problems, had x-rays, physio and then an appointment at GOSH where we were told she had nothing wrong and would be a good gymnast. Not sure what to do about this with her history. Any advice please? TIA. She is 5.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 18-Sep-08 12:57:04

Hopeful bump.

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 13:07:19

I'd take her to the GP and ask for a referal to orthopedics. It could be that the ligaments are too loose so are not supporting her foot correctly. I would take her to get this checked out as it may cause hip problems when she is older. I imagine her leg, ankle and foot can be painful for her. sad

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 18-Sep-08 13:14:36

Oh poo. She hasn't said anything and doesn't seem aware she is doing it.

Actually she has said her leg hurts but it usually when she is throwing a tantrum and doesn't want to do anything.

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 13:16:44

wink ds has flat feet, his feet roll and lean inwards, he has had insoles made at the hospital and put in his shoes. This is caused because he's got loose ligaments. It's one for you to check. When ds stands without shoes or socks I can see that he has no arches at all.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 18-Sep-08 13:22:45

We are already waiting for a hospital appoinment for DS2 and his feet. sad

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 13:24:37

Could be genetic then. I have loose ligaments, so does ds.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Thu 18-Sep-08 13:26:09

He has different problems, at least DS1 seems feet happy!

avenanap Thu 18-Sep-08 13:30:46

lol! grin ds's are a bit happier now, at least he can walk without them getting painful.

cory Thu 18-Sep-08 19:27:09

Hmmm.. she has flat feet and at GOSH they said she'd make a good gymnast- that definitely sounds like hypermobility of some sort. Get her- sounds like she'll need insoles.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Fri 19-Sep-08 12:33:03

We haven't been told she has flat feet and I don't know if she does. I got her to walk this morning and of course she was fine.

She was dx with valgus foot and metatarsel something.

She had hypotonia when she was small.

What should we do?

avenanap Fri 19-Sep-08 17:39:46

I would go back to the gp. Could you record her walking on your phone so they could see it?

cory Fri 19-Sep-08 18:24:16

valgus foot, could be wrong but I think that's the same as flat foot.

avenanap Fri 19-Sep-08 22:46:53

valgus foot is indeed flat feet! wink Take her to the GP and ask for an orthopedic referal.

Skramble Fri 19-Sep-08 22:52:22

If it all check out OK and she just has a tendency to turn her foot in I would recommend shoes with a good solid upper at the heel, correct width fitting and a broad flat sole at the heel. Many shoes at the moment have a slim more rounded heel that lets the foot tip around.

So sorry but sensible shoes, that may need to be re-heeled alot.

I had this problem when I was young, but it was the seventies and they stopped putting kids into those corrective boots in my area, they didn't even do supportive insoles, I was quite bad and my sensible school shoes were re-heeled every week to keep them correctly aligned. That and a lot of conciously turning out my feet means I walk straight although my ankles still sort of dip a bit.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Mon 22-Sep-08 12:12:13

Thanks all.

I wll be ringing the GP once they reopen.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Mon 22-Sep-08 16:14:58

Have an appointment for next Monday.

My birth to 5 book says that both probs my DD and DS2 have are quite normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now