Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Very soft poo in 21 mth old - not diarrhoea - is it a problem?

(4 Posts)
MummyToOneForNow Wed 17-Sep-08 16:58:50

My 21 mth old dd has had constantly very soft poo for a couple of months - definitely not diarrhoea as she only poos once per day normally (occasionally none or twice per day). She does love fruit and veg and will eat these in preference to protein and starchy foods so I try to limit her intake. Food can pass through her in as little as 5 hours (from evidence after eating sweetcorn or beetroot etc) so I am concerned she may not be digesting it very well. Haven't had her weighed in ages but she has always been on the slim side.

Any similar experiences? Just seems a bit trivial to bother a doctor with as she is well otherwise.

Seona1973 Wed 17-Sep-08 20:01:36

toddler diarrhoea maybe? (try googling for more info)

MummyToOneForNow Wed 17-Sep-08 20:59:48

Thanks - hadn't heard of it but from a quick google search it sounds plausible (apart from the frequency). In one link I found it suggests it may be linked to sugar (from fruit) in the bowel so I'm going to try restricting fruit while letting her eat as much veg as she likes. Otherwise her current diet is as recommended with plenty of high fat dairy etc.

I have noticed that after a day when she has been at nursery it isn't quite as bad and I suspect she doesn't get to eat as much fruit at nursery as at home so hopefully that is the answer.

nigglewiggle Wed 17-Sep-08 21:20:02

Have exactly the same situation with DD (2.7). Did bother doctor (very loose movements), but didn't really get anywhere other than probably diet related- keep a diary.

We too checked t'internet and decided that our fruit-loving, protein-hating daughter was suffering from fructose-malabsorbtion. A swift change in diet - no big bowls of grapes etc has solved the problem.

Hope it works for you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now