Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Scoliosis in young children

(4 Posts)
gregs Wed 17-Sep-08 14:24:50

Please help i have a 5 year old son with scoliosis 40 degree curve just been told by consultant he needs an operation so he has gone on the waiting list.(prob January time) he currently wears a brace for 23 hours a day.Any advise aworried Mum and Dad

Elibean Thu 18-Sep-08 10:07:57

gregs, no advice but bumping for you - dh's neice (now adult) had op for scoliosis as a child, most important thing is good physio so as to keep mobile and flexible afterwards, IIRC. She also had some counselling to help her deal with the frustrations and loss that comes with feeling different, missing school etc - but she was in her teens, so emotionally probably the worst time possible!

FWIW, she has better posture than me now, and apart from being a bit stiff in the back can do most things as well as anyone.

Wishing you and your ds the best of care and good results smile

RubyRioja Thu 18-Sep-08 10:10:57

My friend's neice (in her teens) has recently had this done and it was a big op, but she is now 2 inches taller, much more comfortable and doing great. They even put boobs in her brace for her so she was not flat chested!

She had it done with 3 other girls so they had each other for support.

I know not strictly relevant - but good outcomes are usually encouraging!

tessofthedurbeville Fri 19-Aug-11 20:59:47

My daughter (age 14) has recently had the operation. Titanium rods were inserted in her spine and she in now recovering. It has been a huge operation. and she still has a long way to go but I have seen improvements every day. She still lays flat a lot of the time but is now more mobile - but we don't go out much. the operation was successful and her consultant has been fantastic. I would go for the operation if it is necessary however do think about and check some of the following things to really reassure yourselves. Is your consultant an expert - how many of these operations does he do? At 40 degrees I understand that your son is at the point of needing to be operated on. However - have you asked how necessary it is to have it now or could you wait to allow for more growth? Have you discussed with your consultant how this will affect his growth and whether this will be a one off or whether he will need further intervention as he grows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now