Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

I think dd3 fingers might stop other kids slamming doors

(26 Posts)
misdee Tue 16-Sep-08 13:24:57

pic in profile.

maybe i should set u pa campaign using that image.

[evil cackle]

on a serious note, she isnt using her fingers at all, and wont strighten her fingers out. am guessing this is because its been bandaged for two weeks and hasnt been used.

she has gone to nursery with the two fingers covered in plastered, as was told to keep them as clean and dry as possible for another week. have to take the plasters off when she gets back and wash and dry her fingers again.

oh and those nails will fall off in about 4 weeks time [barfs]

Fimbo Tue 16-Sep-08 13:26:20

I am squeamish, so will not look at profile pic.

Hope the poor little mite's fingers heal quickly though.

OneAndOneMakes Tue 16-Sep-08 13:26:55

Oh my god misdee, I would have freaked out if that happened to one of the DC.

I hope she has a swift recovery

(boak)

pucca Tue 16-Sep-08 13:27:35

Eeek!

Poor DD3 thats looks horrific!

BroccoliSpears Tue 16-Sep-08 13:27:35

Definitely won't look at the picture. Hope she feels better soon though.

misdee Tue 16-Sep-08 13:29:12

yes, the pic is quite bad, sorry.

but it has stopped my lot slamming doors, am sure the older two will be horrified by dd3 fingers when they all get home from school.

GrapefruitMoon Tue 16-Sep-08 13:29:45

I still break out in a cold sweat when I think of my brother's finger getting trapped in a door when he was a toddler (30 years ago!) ...parents were out for some reason, my grandad was nearly blind so I was virtually in charge.

As a result I am always shouting at my dcs not to slam doors!

Hope your dd makes a good recovery.

Jackstini Tue 16-Sep-08 13:29:52

Bleaurgh! I remember reading when this had just happened Misdee.
My dd dropped a stool on her toe and it looked like this for a while but nail came back perfectly eventually. Hope she can use them better soon.

Dropdeadfred Tue 16-Sep-08 13:34:22

Poor dd3!!!

Misdee you really should update your profile noe - it still gas peter as waiting for his OP!!! grin

serenity Tue 16-Sep-08 13:34:33

I cut my brothers finger off by shutting a door on it when he was a toddler, so I can't face looking (still have nightmares of changing my brothers skanky bandages) It's made me very paranoid of doors, especially since by BFs DS3 did the same thing this summer <<shudder>> We actually don't have any doors that shut in our flat.

serenity Tue 16-Sep-08 13:36:02

ooops, too busy having flashbacks...

Hope DD3 feels better soon, Misdee. smile

Saturn74 Tue 16-Sep-08 13:38:56

Oooh, too chicken to look at profile - trapped fingers and choking are the two parenting scenarios that turn me into a blubbering wreck - but I hope little DD3 is soon feeling better. smile

norksinmywaistband Tue 16-Sep-08 13:39:00

oh poor DD3 ho she gets loads of sympathy frm the older girls.

We have those things from Ikea that prevent doors being slammed/shut I am glad I got them now looking at your pic

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Sep-08 14:05:28

serenity - have you had an email from me? Pls can you email me a n n @ m u m s n e t . c o m ? ta (sorry for slightly stalkerish behaviour!)

serenity Tue 16-Sep-08 14:12:59

Let me check...

bundle Tue 16-Sep-08 14:15:03

oooh misdee!

a plastics guy I met swore by chucking a rolled up towel over the top of doors (if you didn't have any of those door stopper things)

serenity Tue 16-Sep-08 14:19:32

Found it, sorry Ann blush Have replied, sheepishly.

dingdong05 Tue 16-Sep-08 14:20:09

Boak!
Your poor dd
A toddler I know had one minging fingernail to fall off and that was bad enough!
You could have the pic in a medical dictionary though

Hangingbellyofbabylon Tue 16-Sep-08 15:08:51

oh, your poor dd! me and my big sis slammed the door to try and stop my little sis coming into the room and her arm got jammed in the door and was actually broken blush - so I do concur that slamming doors is bad news.

bellavita Tue 16-Sep-08 15:19:04

oh misdee - that looks awful, it must be really painful for her.

Last Thursday when I got to work, one minute I was getting out of the car and the next minute my index and middle finger were trapped in the car door - I could have cried (in fact my bottom lip did wobble).

I have bruised fingers with cuts on them back and front and they bled and bled.

My boys slam doors and last night DS2 got out of the passenger side of the car and thought it would be funny to close the door (a slam actually) whilst DS1 was pushing the seat forward to climb out and get out of the same door, luckily he missed his fingers. You would have thought a lesson would have been learn't last week with my hand.

Hope your dd's hand recovers soon.

wotulookinat Tue 16-Sep-08 15:22:55

Arrrggggh that looks sooooooo sore, but your girls are gorgeous!

Blu Tue 16-Sep-08 15:35:26

Misdee - have they given you any physio excercises to do with her?

I am feroscious about door slamming - have never allowed DS or visiting friends to play any games that invlvd opening and shutting doors - my SIL drove me MAD laughing as her girls used to riun round our 'through lounge' trying to shut each other out by slamming the doors - it's SO dangerous.

I put that insulating tubing fo plumbing pipes over the tops of our doors - you can buy it from any plumbing / hardware shop, it is a long foam tube slit along it's length, so I just cut it into short lengths and slotted a chunk over the top of each door.

Aimsmum Tue 16-Sep-08 15:38:27

Message withdrawn

CaptainKarvol Tue 16-Sep-08 16:05:27

Oooh I can't look <cringes>. I had the fingers of my left hand crushed in a door hinge as a toddler (wind blew the front door shut as I was pulling up using the door frame). If it is at all reassuring, it has healed just fine (though the nails are a slightly odd shape after they all grew back). But it has left me with a life long phobia of hand injuries! Any stress, my fingers hurt! I hope your dd heals up nice and quickly.

rubyloopy Tue 16-Sep-08 16:50:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now