Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quick TMI diarrhoea question? How long should it last?

(2 Posts)
fettle Tue 16-Sep-08 13:16:24

4.5 yr DD was sick twice on Saturday and had severe diarrhoea during Saturday night. She's since then had 3-4 times per day very loose stools, but she can wait to go, so she's not completely urgent. Every time I think she's getting better, but she's just done another very loose stool.

At this rate she won't be allowed to school all week (48 hours after "last event", they state). She seems fine within herself and is bored being at home, but does keep needing a poo. She wants to eat, but I'm not sure what I should be allowing her to eat. I've so far kept her to bread, pasta and bland food.

Is there anyway I can speed up her bowel recovery? When/if should I take her to see the GP? I just can't work out if she's still got diarrhoea, or whether her body is just having difficulty digesting her food after the virus?

I know I sound a bit of a novice, but in 4.5 years, we've not had many D&V viruses (thank goodness and touch wood!), and the last time was nearly 3 years ago and she was in nappies and it was easier to control what she ate and drank!

Thanks for any advice/reassurance.
smile

onepieceoflollipop Tue 16-Sep-08 21:40:10

Ime most d&v things last 24-48 hours, but sometimes the symptoms can last longer.

In your position I would probably ring NHS Direct 0845 4647 and see what they say.

It sounds like she is on her way to recovery though.

Do you know anyone else who has had the same recently? If so they may give you an idea of how long it took them to be fully over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now