Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How infectious is ringworm?

(4 Posts)
friendly Mon 15-Sep-08 17:42:44

DD was bitten by her hamster last week. I took her to the nurse the next day who brought her jabs up to date blush and suggested we see a doctor. The doc gave us antibiotics and now i am pretty sure she has ringworm!

She has quite large (penny sized) marks on her thighs, bum and hips. Nhs direct website says you can catch ringworm from hamsters apparently. I have other kids and am not sure how infectious ringworm is. Also is it okay for her to go to school. Thanks everyone!

Seona1973 Mon 15-Sep-08 19:38:16

it is supposed to be infectious but no-one else in my house caught it when I had a patch on my wrist. I should hope it is ok for her to go to school as it can take a few months to clear up - you should check with the school first though as they may need you to have started treatment before letting her return.

SquiffyHock Mon 15-Sep-08 19:41:14

I had it when I was teaching - it did go around the school. If you go to the doctor you can get cream which clears it up quickly. I also think (but don't take my word for it) that it spreads with contact so if she wears tights/trousers she shouldn't pass it on.

friendly Mon 15-Sep-08 20:25:57

Oh help! I'll ring school first thing tomorrow. I've made her an appointment. thanks for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now