Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

chicken pox-urgent

(11 Posts)
mama2leah Mon 15-Sep-08 10:57:55

my sis in law had chicken pox, its all crusted over an comin to and end

i been invited to my mates house for dinner today, BUT i dunno if i have chicken pox, its been 15 days since she had it... the mate is pregnant...

do i go?

Geepers Mon 15-Sep-08 11:00:29

Have you had CP before?

Has your friend?

The chances that neither of you are immune is remote.

mama2leah Mon 15-Sep-08 11:04:36

i have had it...

i dunno if she has...

but my baby hasnt had it yet...

WigWamBam Mon 15-Sep-08 11:09:26

You can't pass it onto your friend if you have already had it and are immune yourself.

Your friend will be able to tell you if she's had it, surely? If she's had it, she'll be immune.

When was your baby exposed to it?

mama2leah Mon 15-Sep-08 11:11:56

about 2 weeks ago, my baby was exposed...

i dunno wat2 do...

i want to see her, but not risk her babys health

lljkk Mon 15-Sep-08 11:13:37

Why not ask your friend if she'd like you to come, odds are she's had it and not worried, let her decide.

Ohforfoxsake Mon 15-Sep-08 11:14:13

it is possible to get it a second time (though quite rare).

If all your SILs spots were crusted over, she wouldn't be contageous, and I think you'll be OK. But, if you had contact with her in the two weeks before the spots came out, she may have passed it on then.

Ask your mate if she's had it, and even if she has, ask her what she's comfortable with.

WigWamBam Mon 15-Sep-08 11:14:47

Incubation is between two and three weeks. So if your baby picked up chicken pox when she was exposed to it, she will be incubating it now.

Can you ring your friend and ask her if she has had it? Otherwise I wouldn't risk it if your friend is either in the first trimester or is in the last couple of weeks - those are the risky times for her baby.

TrinityRhino Mon 15-Sep-08 11:15:50

its not definite that she willbe immune because she has had it

not common I know but still a possibilty

my mum gets it every year
gecko has had it twice already

but how pregnant is she~??

nappyaddict Mon 15-Sep-08 11:20:02

The problem with CP and pregnancy is if you have it 5 days or less before the baby is born the baby can have complications from it but no one knows for definite when they baby is going to come.

mama2leah Mon 15-Sep-08 11:52:20

i rang her she sed jus cum ver...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now