Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

MRI scan- advice please

(16 Posts)
fifitot Sun 14-Sep-08 19:36:35

Have posted about this before but my LO is having MRI soon and letter says with sedation. I can't give her food or drink after certain times (great). Does this mean GA? Or simply a injection to 'knock her out' for a short while? Anyone know.

Totally dreading the whole thing btw.

cmotdibbler Sun 14-Sep-08 19:39:04

Sedation is an injection that will make her really sleepy for a bit. You'll have to hang around until she wakes up properly.

lisad123 Sun 14-Sep-08 22:24:04

yep just be a little sleepy. Trust me she would rather that, having had one, as an adult they are very odd. Good luck

FanjolinaJolly Sun 14-Sep-08 22:34:46

Hello,MY DD had an MRI (head) recently.She could not have anything to drink except clear fluids from 6am on the morning of the scan.The sedation was 2 drugs (liquids) administered orally by a syringe.It took a good hour or so for the sedation to work because she was fighting it!When she was sedated they wheeled her across to the scanner room.I was allowed in with her.They put some ear protectors on her,like headphones!! (the scanner is noisy) and wedged a blanket round her.She was in the scanner about 45 mins.I held her little hand throughout.The worst bit for me was her coming round,she was very woozy and out of it and cried a lot.(She had no understanding though,cos of her developmental probs)It might be easier to explain to an older child They kept her for observation until she had weed,and had managed a drink and some toast.We went hope and she went to sleep straight away and slept until the next morning when she was right as rain. hth.

FanjolinaJolly Sun 14-Sep-08 22:44:23

Home,not hope!!

Oh and she couldn't eat anything from midnight the night before.

The hospital should sendyou a letter and the staff will explain it all to you on the day

Hope it goes well with your little one.

fifitot Mon 15-Sep-08 08:00:04

Thankyou everyone. Makes it a bit clearer. x

fifitot Tue 16-Sep-08 16:46:37

Sorry can I just ask....how quickly did you get results? I haven't got a follow up appt so not sure if I will get one on day or if consultant will ring me.

rubyloopy Tue 16-Sep-08 16:54:00

Message withdrawn

bigcar Wed 17-Sep-08 10:53:57

We waited 2 weeks for dd3s results. The consultant said she would ring with the results and then make an appointment if it was necessary, depending on what the results were.

uptomyeyes Wed 17-Sep-08 11:04:42

DS1 had a neuro MRI when he was 8, he wasn't sedated and therefore didn't need to do the nil by mouth thing. DH went in with him and held his hand, DH said it was very noisy but DS1 is a stoic little chap and was fine. We got our results on the same day - initial result from the radiographer -that there was no brain tumour and then more detailed explanation from the paediatric neurologist that there was in actual fact a problem with swelling in the brain - subsequently treated.

Good luck. I know how you are feeling DS! has to go into hospital tomorrow for an operation under GA - I'm dreading that. sad

Arabica Wed 17-Sep-08 11:32:54

Hi, DD (2) has had 4 brain MRIs under sedation (nasty tasting medicine administered by syringe) and we were taken in afterwards for a chat with the lovely professor who pointed out straightaway each time that there was nothing she was immediately concerned about. The full report took quite a lot longer. It really depends if the person who is going to look at the MRI is present or if it has to be sent to them--ask on the day because you can be told all sorts of different info otherwise.
DD took absolutely ages to wake up after the sedation and they would not let us leave until she had had something to drink. She also needed a little bit of oxygen as she was sleeping so deeply. This is completely normal and nothing to worry about, but they might not warn you in advance.
Good luck.

alibobins Wed 17-Sep-08 12:17:59

Ds has just been booked in for a MRI after seeing a consultant and she said it will be done under GA but ds is only 3.9 so it might be because he is so little.

fifitot Wed 17-Sep-08 18:35:57

Thanks. It's done thank goodness. Bit of an ordeal because of the nil by mouth. The actual scan wasn't that bad. I am phoning consultant tomorrow re results.

wb Wed 17-Sep-08 19:24:06

When ds2 had an MRI we got the results a week later from the consultant.

fifitot Wed 17-Sep-08 20:08:33

Did they ring you wb? I don't have an appt booked but have consultants mobile number so calling him just to remind him to chase the results up. The radiographer told me that all the scans are checked over at the end of the day by the radiologist anyway and everything is done by computer so should be ready quite quickly hopefully.

wb Thu 18-Sep-08 09:19:12

No they didn't ring, I went in. The way it worked was, once I had the date for the scan (but before the scan itself) I rang the consultants secretary and arranged a follow-up meeting.

W. ds2 I've found that we always have to go in for results (I guess this is the policy in case it is bad news, luckily ours has always been good).

A friend recently had an MRI after tests showed possible problems with her unborn son. She was given the results straight after the scan, so it does depend on who is doing it and why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now