Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cracking joints in a 10 year old

(6 Posts)
PolarCub Sun 14-Sep-08 15:07:26

I'm having a problem with my son. His joints (ankles, wrists, knees, back, hips, jaw etc!) are cracking. It started about 6 months ago, and to be honest, I ignored it at first, but now it seems to be getting worse.

I've looked to see if he's sitting awkwardly, made sure that when he turns around that he turns his whole body etc, but it's not making any difference.

It hurts him at the time, but his joints aren't sore the rest of the time.

Is there anything I can do to stop this happening?

Btw he's just 10 years old

bubblagirl Sun 14-Sep-08 17:23:18

i had this when younger and was apparently to do with growth

you could take to gp who can recommend something you can give him

lou031205 Sun 14-Sep-08 18:32:50

I have this, and it is a nitrogen build up in the joints, that then pops when you flex them. Totally harmless.

rubyloopy Mon 15-Sep-08 09:36:18

Message withdrawn

PolarCub Mon 15-Sep-08 14:28:19

Thanks. Looks like I'll take him to the GP then, and ask about growing pains and if there is anything we can do. smile

cory Mon 15-Sep-08 18:41:38

Is he hypermobile at all, PolarCub? Both my dc's are and ds spends ages cracking his joints before he can go to sleep; freaks the rest of us out and I'm not sure I shouldn't be stopping it, but it is hard. He can also bend his joints into really weird positions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now