Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! what should i do?

(11 Posts)
cheeryface Sun 14-Sep-08 11:26:46

my son has severe hayfever and a low immune sysytem that he has regular check ups for. he has been allergy tested which showed he was allergic to timothy grass and dogs.

now, in desperation for a pet, i bought him 2 guinea pigs which live in a hutch outside. weve had them 4 weeks now.

the day after we got then he was feeling ill with a low grade fever and headche, lasted a few days. since then we have had 3 episodes of eyes itching , throat was itching one night and gone the next day.
all last week he was off his food and now, since friday he has had a bit of a temperature. he isnt keen to eat much, but yet he's still kicking his ball around outside!

i just have this feeling that allergens from the hay/guinea pigs are causing all these on/off problems but on the other hand, seeing as he's quite allergic anyway thinking it could be something else or a virus??

its going to be upsetting to re home his guinea pigs, but i feel constantlt worried about him

help, what would you do ??

ByTheSea Sun 14-Sep-08 11:29:49

I don't know if this would help you, but my DH has asthma and DS1 has hayfever. We got a kitten and they both suffered at first, but then I bought an HEPA air purifier on ebay and things have been much better. I can't recommend it enough.

cheeryface Sun 14-Sep-08 11:37:50

thanx, i haven't heard many people suffering a temperature with allergy but normally if he has a temp you can tell hes got a virus or soemthing iyswim and this has been twice in 4 weeks now.

i wish i'd never bought the guinea pigs as i'm now in turmoil as to whether they are making him ill. i had enough trouble with the sverity of his 5 months lasting hayfever!

apart from the temp and not eating he seems o.k today in himself

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 14-Sep-08 11:42:13

have you tried giving him antihistamines? if they symptoms then clear up quickly then you know its an allergic reaction to something.

cheeryface Sun 14-Sep-08 17:17:08

cheeryface Sun 14-Sep-08 19:54:06

he still has a temperature tonight, its only 37.5 but he's always 36-36.5

he has been playing around but still doesn't want to eat

sur if this wasallergy related it would be more obvious??

maybe i'll go to the doctors with him tomorrow

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 14-Sep-08 22:06:23

did you not try antihistamine? doesnt sound like allergies though, sounds like a bit of a bug.

cheeryface Mon 15-Sep-08 09:35:31

well tbh he takes antihistamines for 6 months of the year because of the pollen and they don't always work very well, doctor is thinking of giving him the jab next year.

when he first went off his food and had mild temp he was still on the antihitamines . we stopped it last week as the pollen season is over

in ds case there not the most reliable really

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 15-Sep-08 11:56:49

what a shame - that makes it much harder for you. Suppose another allergy to consider is moulds - its been so damp and I know a couple of people with that issue.
is he feeling any better today?

cheeryface Mon 15-Sep-08 12:45:23

ye, seems a bit better in himself today thanx smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 15-Sep-08 13:00:19

good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now