Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hair loss in DD (I think so anyway) bit worried...

(18 Posts)
Clary Sat 13-Sep-08 22:49:29

Anyone know what, if anything, this could signify?

DD is 7 and her hair is not the thickest or longest, but this week I have noticed that when I plait it there is somehow significantly less of it - it's a lot less thick.

I have also noticed of late clumps of hair on the floor in her room - as if she had brushed it through and caught loads of tangles - but I dont think it can be just that.

Anyone any thoughts? She's just started in juniors and had a lot of tests this week but can it be stress over that??

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 22:52:09

It sounds like alopecia. sad I'd take her to the GP incase it's because of a fungal infecion. Sometimes it's because of stress, sometimes there's no reason. I would go and have a chat with the GP.

Clary Sat 13-Sep-08 22:56:59

yeah, I thought of alopecia although IIRC all that is is a fancy name for losing your hair, and not sthg they can do much about sad

She looks OK, not loads of bald spots or anything...

Herecomesthesciencebint Sat 13-Sep-08 22:57:45

iron deficiency (whats her diet like?)

FinalFurlong Sat 13-Sep-08 23:00:53

i had alopecia at 14-16years. started of with slow loss of hair, very quickly developed into patches around the size of a 10p coin. you will notice very soon if it is alopecia. take her to the doctors to check it out. i believe they have steroid creams now that can help if it is this. but it may just be something as simple as iron deficiency like scibint said

FinalFurlong Sat 13-Sep-08 23:01:48

oh and my alopecia was stress linked

Clary Sat 13-Sep-08 23:05:18

iron deficiency, interesting as I am prone to that.

She has a good diet actually, is a very good eater tho a skinny stick, but loves her green veg and fruit etc.

right will take her to doc's next week I think.

Thanks for help all!

avenanap Sat 13-Sep-08 23:08:01

smile Let us know. I hope it's all OK.

Clary Sun 14-Sep-08 12:23:40

hopeful Sunday bump for any more experience/views?

FinalFurlong Mon 15-Sep-08 00:12:44

really hope its not alopecia! its a horrible thing for a child to endure. let us know how she gets on.
probably best to keep an eye on things and not let her see you are concerned (may make her worry about it- thus making it worse). take her the docs if you feel its getting worse. but you may find it sorts itself out.

fitchusa Mon 15-Sep-08 05:08:50

alopecia is usually hair loss in patches. if it's diffused hair loss, just generally all around, but not seeing patches of scalp, it could be a thyroid problem, or 'telogen effluvium'. my dd (4)was just diagnosed with effluvium in april. they did a blood test first to see if it was thyroid related, but those came back fine, the diagnosis was effluvium. basically, it means there was one stressful event 1-6 months ago, and the stress made the follicles release the hair out of turn. but, the follicles aren't damaged, and can resume their regular growing cycle once they've rested (as they normally do in a growing cycle.) dd started losing her hair in january (we think a trip abroad with 8 hour time difference did it), and in july, we started noticing lots of whispy hairs starting to grow up. she's lost about half her hair, and what's growing is about 1 inch long all around her head. they say it's all normal now, so we're just waiting for it all to grow out! hope this helps!?!

Clary Mon 15-Sep-08 09:06:45

Fitchusa yes, that really sounds like it.

It’s the longer hair that is thinner IYSWIM – she suddenly seems to have lots of shorter hairs that are no longer caught up in the plait/ponytail, as if they only grow halfway down her head, as though lots of her hair came out about 6mo ago.

But there are no bald spots as such on her head – just a lot less to bobble up IYKWIM

I think I may get SIL to trim off about 2 inches and see if it grows through.

<ponders 6mo ago event that may have cause this>

hippipotami Mon 15-Sep-08 14:49:59

Are you sure she is not pulling it out? My dd's hair was noticeably thinning all over, adn I found clumps of hair on her bedroom floor, on her side of the car etc. So I started observing her. She was twirling her hair around her fingers and then pulling it out.
This was nearly 18 months ago. We cut her hair short to give it a chance to grow back. As soon as it was chin-length (as per profile) she started again. So she now sports a trendy short layered haircut. She is now 5.9 btw.
She also bites her nails and suffers from nervous tics, so I think it is all related and started when she was nearly leaving nursery and the staff were hyping up the move to 'big school'

If your dd is anxious, that could be a reason for the hair.

If she is pulling it out, I have heard that children out-grow this habit, so don't panic (like I did when I first found out)

Clary Mon 15-Sep-08 22:19:27

ah hadn't thought of pulling it out.

That would explain clumps of it by the bed.

Looking at it again tonight, there seem to be loads of bits that grow bout as far as a hairband sits, then some more that goes to the full length if that makes any sense.

Yes, just as though half of it had been pulled out or fallen out an dsince grown back.

She has also started biting her nails (all mine do now sad, used to be just DS1, a great fiddler). Also she chews her hair (ugh) that's quite recent.

Right I am going to get SIL to cut it into chin-length or so bob. Quite trendy among her peers atm actually - two of her friends have recently had longer hair cut quite short and it looks v smart.

Thanks all for help. Will report back if any news smile

Clary Mon 15-Sep-08 22:20:23

yr DD is so pretty btw hippo!

gagarin Mon 15-Sep-08 22:29:26

I'm a hair twiddler blush!

It's very soothing but drives everyone in my family mad. I twist and twist it through my fingers and then when it gets knotty end up tugging it out. It is rather like nail biting for me - and not stress related as such. I just do it absentmindedly like nail biting - when I'm reading/watching tv etc.

My only cure is to have a short haircut - there is a critical length after which I end up starting it again. And when my mumshowed me the hair she was pulling out of the hoover roller brush it did shock me into reducing my twiddlyness - so do show her what she is doing - she prob will have no idea how much is coming out.

So give her a short style (like Posh?) and it may stop the habit. Or give her some of theat squidgey putty to fiddle with instead?

Clary Mon 15-Sep-08 22:48:21

Oh gosh I am suddenly all tearful at thought of cutting off her pretty hair <silly emoticon>

It's just that I always had short hair as a child and hated it (people thought I was a boy) so I always swore that if I had a girl she would have long hair. I do so love plaiting it and her choosing bobbles or wearing it down on non-school days.

Not that anyone would take dainty DD for a boy <weak smile>

hippipotami Tue 16-Sep-08 08:15:28

Oh Clary, thank you for your lovely comment about dd. Her hair is a lot shorter now, but she still wears a hairslide in it at teh front so she cannot be mistaken for a boy. She is also quite dainty. Will try to find some short hair pictures taken this weekend and put them on my profile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now