Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anyone recommend a fish oil supplement for children that doesn't taste rank!

(26 Posts)
watsthestory Fri 12-Sep-08 17:57:42

Message withdrawn

Buda Fri 12-Sep-08 17:59:37

I give DS the Eskimo kids one. He did gag the first few times bless him but I followed it swiftly with a spoonful of Vivioptal which he loves. He takes it no problem now.

pagwatch Fri 12-Sep-08 18:00:11

there is no such thing.
The Eye q strawberry capsules are probably the best for little ones.-
Even if they don't taste rank then you get fishy burps afterwards.
But has to be done I'm afraid.

DS1 and DD have them before pudding to smother the taste.
DS2 has the liquid in a glass of orange juice and he can tolerate that.

watsthestory Fri 12-Sep-08 18:01:59

Message withdrawn

SquiffyHock Fri 12-Sep-08 18:02:38

DS has the bassetts soft and chewy ones here. He loves them and asks for one every day. They also do them in an orange flavour.

pagwatch Fri 12-Sep-08 18:04:19

yes
DS2 has ASD and they helped him start talking again. And calmed him down
DS1 is in GCSE year and still finds that he is more alert and more organised when onthem although he has no ASD related issues at all.
DD is harder to tell as she is a littel dipstick. Lovely but a dipstick grin

pagwatch Fri 12-Sep-08 18:05:42

bassetts ones are no good for mine as they have sweetners which totally negate the good effects of the oils.

Cappuccino Fri 12-Sep-08 18:09:18

you could try these

we've had the multivits from there, tho I haven't tried the omega ones yet; and they do read as if they have tried to make them palatable

they take a while to come from there; 1-2 weeks, but the quality of their supplements is good ime

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 12-Sep-08 18:09:59

we have bassets chewy multi vits with omega 3.

Spagblog Fri 12-Sep-08 18:16:16

Haliborange black currant ones are so good the kids pester me for more.

watsthestory Fri 12-Sep-08 18:26:04

Message withdrawn

hecate Fri 12-Sep-08 18:28:05

mine have eskimo kids from here

dizzymac Fri 12-Sep-08 18:28:13

Another vote for the haliborange blackcurrant here! They are often on sale in Tesco too about £1.30 for 30 if I recall.

watsthestory Fri 12-Sep-08 18:29:47

Message withdrawn

Boyswillbeboys Fri 12-Sep-08 18:38:07

Halib orange syrup is good - my DCs love it but it smells fishy to me! They have been having the bassets blackcurrant during the summer but I usually switch to the syrup in the winter cos it has higher concentrations. Check out Boots as they are doing lots of 2 for 3 offers at the mo.

watsthestory Fri 12-Sep-08 19:57:42

Message withdrawn

Buda Sat 13-Sep-08 09:48:13

A lot of the ones aimed at children have aspartame in which I try to avoid. Check the packaging if it is a concern for you.

johnworf Sat 13-Sep-08 10:24:27

Can thoroughly recommend the Equazen EyeQ. The liquid is flavoured (we've had the lemon) but not sure I'd say it was a pleasant taste. Not tried the capsules but usually these are not so foul.

Helped with DSS who is 8 and undergoing tests for Aspergers. Educationally they have really helped him.

pagwatch Sat 13-Sep-08 13:33:28

with the bassetts/haliborange/ type ones
really do check the label if you are looking at this supplements with a view to helping concentration or with ASD type symptoms.
They are palatable to kids because they are packed with artificial sugars and flavourings. And for children like DS2 that makes them more harmful that any EFA benefit could possibly provide.

SquiffyHock Sun 14-Sep-08 09:37:31

Pagwatch - thanks for that. I'm usually so aware of additives and never buy sugar-free or things with sweeteners. I wonder why it never crossed my mind to read the ingredients on vitamins???
I only started giving them to DS when he had a rotten cold last year - now I wonder if they are any benefit at all.

cocolepew Sun 14-Sep-08 09:40:26

Boots' own s Strawberry flavoured. My 2 can take the citrus EyeQ, and yes I think it does help.

Buda Sun 14-Sep-08 14:01:50

Squiffy - I started giving my DS Vivioptal Junior when he was abut 3 and had had a nasty bout of flu. He is now 7. Last winter I forgot to get any and he ended up off school for ages with various lurgies. So I think that it does make a difference. I am careful about which ones I give him though. I tend to avoid the sugary ones that are aimed at children.

SquiffyHock Sun 14-Sep-08 21:13:09

I'm going to have a look next time I'm in Boots - is Vivioptal Junior a multi-vitamin? I don't specifically need Omega 3. I really will think more carefully about the type I buy although not sure I want to know what's in Calpol 'cause I ain't giving that up grin

Buda Mon 15-Sep-08 06:42:35

Vivioptal Junior is a multi-vit syrup. Tastes like Fanta according to my nephew! It won't be perfect but seemed to me to be better than most and as DS loves it, it is easy to get into him.

eidsvold Mon 15-Sep-08 06:52:21

we have jelly fish here - the dds take them as they think they are a treat. My dd1 was taking eye q. We used to put it in her yoghurt.

Not sure if you can get the jelly fish in the UK.

this is it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now