Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oral Thrush in toddler

(6 Posts)
jimmyjammys Fri 12-Sep-08 11:32:17

My nursery just phoned to say that they think DS, 13 months has oral thrush, they noticed that he has white spots behind his top lip. They advised that I should get some daktarin (?) from the chemist just in case it does turn out to be thrush for the weekend.

could anybody else offer me advice on what the best course of action is and what is the best treatment? DS has been quite ill on and off for the last few weeks, he had a cold and then a tummy but then he has had a nasty chesty cough which he has just started to take antibiotics for - i know that antibiotics can be a cause of thrush as well so it does sound like he has it.

thisisyesterday Fri 12-Sep-08 11:34:45

well I would see if you can see a doctor first. have they tried rubbing the spots off?
(and how on earth did they notice??? lol)

ConstanceWearing Fri 12-Sep-08 11:38:07

Doctor... if you can't rub the patches off gently, definitely. Or if you can't get appointment, ask the pharmacist what to buy

jimmyjammys Fri 12-Sep-08 11:46:50

cant; get appointment today but a Dr will call me back to give me a prescription. This is really annoying about my Surgery, you can never get an appointment and they just give you a prescription without seeing the patient.

ConstanceWearing Fri 12-Sep-08 13:24:10

So long as the medicine works, it could be worse, but I do wonder how they can guess what's wrong with the patients without seeing them? Incredible. no wonder doctors have to study 7 years hmm grin

MrsTittleMouse Fri 12-Sep-08 13:36:00

DD had oral thrush and the anti-fungal prescribed by the GP worked wonders. He did examine her first though. hmm Mind you, the midwife told me that the way that they diagnose thrush in pregnancy is to tell the woman to get some canasten and if it works then it was thrush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now