Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please Help, DD 2 1/2, wakes screaming in pain, like cramp in ankle and foot

(10 Posts)
marmitegirl Thu 11-Sep-08 21:05:31

Please has anyone had this experience, is it growing pains or cramp? never in knee or leg, just ankle and foot.

n5rje Thu 11-Sep-08 21:09:25

Yes, DS3 (6) does this from time to time, I had assumed it was cramp as it tends to happen when he has done a lot of running round/more exercise than usual. Nothing really seems to make it better so I just sit with him rubbing his foot until he falls back to sleep. He really screams when he wakes up so whatever it is must hurt a lot.

marmitegirl Thu 11-Sep-08 21:13:03

Thankyou n5rje (smile), It does worry me as she screams so much, and I hate to be a fussy mum and take her to the docs. This is the first time I have written on here, so very grateful for swift response, makes me feel easier.

nobodysfool Thu 11-Sep-08 21:25:58

I would still get them checked out with the GP.
Better safe than sorry IMO.

TheInvisibleManDidIt Thu 11-Sep-08 21:35:59

ds1 used to do this all the time when he was younger.

We always put it down to growing pains, hv agreed.

But never hurts to get it checked out with a gp. smile

MmeLindt Thu 11-Sep-08 21:40:02

Could it be magnesium deficiency? I had this problem in my pregnancy and my midwife told me that magnesium deficiency can cause cramps and that I should eat more bananas

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 11-Sep-08 21:42:42

Both of mine has growing pains, but in their legs.

I used to rub/massage with Vick.

If you are worried get it checked out for peace of mind

smile

avenanap Thu 11-Sep-08 21:44:30

Check her feet when she's standing up. There should be an arch underneith. ds has had this problem, his feet are completely flat. He has insoles in his shoes to correct this and has not complained about his feet since he's had these in his shoes. It was always his ankles and feet which were painful.

marmitegirl Thu 11-Sep-08 22:03:31

Thanks avenanap, will check her in the morning, luckily she is sleeping peacfully again now, lond may it last smile

avenanap Thu 11-Sep-08 22:09:05

smile It's really easy to tell. Make her stand on the floor, no shoes or socks so you can see her feet. If they are flat then they would be...flat underneith. Her ankles may also slichtly bend inwards. Groaing pains are normally in the legs and are because of the muscles stretching to keep up with the bones. Flat feet causes muscle and ligament pain, mainly at night, when walking or after exercise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now