Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would ebm help boost an older child's immune system?

(8 Posts)
kategsgotmethinking Thu 11-Sep-08 13:53:37

I am currently bf my 11 mth old. I have a 6 yr old who had gastric reflux for her first year, has bad asthma and is very underweight. Winter is always awful for her. Just occurred to me having watched "other people's breastmilk" that I didn't know whether ebm could help her immunity too? Tbh I'd do anything that would give her a better winter and build her up a bit. Your thoughts please? ( She hasn't bf since 6 mths so it would definitely be expressed and probably disguised as chocolate milkshake, as she loves those smile

WilfSell Thu 11-Sep-08 14:00:32

I have done this when older kids were under the weather. They didn't notice their chocolate milk was a bit different grin

I only did one small cup a day for a few days though - didn't notice any discernible difference. Not sure how much you'd have to give for it to 'work'

ChupitosGalore Thu 11-Sep-08 14:03:46

well, according to the bit of that prog i watched... ebm can cure cancer! so id say so, yes. nowt to lose, eh?

onepieceoflollipop Thu 11-Sep-08 14:04:08

I have read that it is beneficial (it certainly wouldn't be harmful anyway. )

I am sure I read ages ago iirc it was a mum who had a frozen supply more than the baby needed and was wondering about giving it to older children.

OMaLittle Thu 11-Sep-08 14:08:18

I tried it, DD1 was highly unimpressed: 'that's [DD2]'s milk, Mummy, urgh'. She had a cold AND I was having to throw loads away as we were travelling home with no coolbag.

TinkerBellesMum Thu 11-Sep-08 14:22:23

It's given to the sick in some countries. It has loads of antibodies and if you are expressing for use then you will have the right antibodies in it at the right time. Go for it! (I would disguise it though as it can taste odd to a cows milk drinker)

kategsgotmethinking Thu 11-Sep-08 19:21:37

Thanks for the encouragement. I just need to get myself organised to express now.

nowwearefour Thu 11-Sep-08 19:24:16

my doc suggested this for my dd1 when i was feeding dd2 instead of antibiotics for an ear infection. did seem to work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now