Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Blue lips in children?, what would this mean?

(14 Posts)
PinkChick Thu 11-Sep-08 10:20:14

dd not well this morning, i noticed her top lip was quite blue?, back aching and quiet, but ate well and is now at school with eye being kept on her by secretery and teacher..but this is bothering me as i thought this was to do with heart???

Jux Thu 11-Sep-08 10:27:17

can't help but bumping

PinkChick Thu 11-Sep-08 10:29:15

thankyou, trying nhs direct online but not much help as it tags it with a cough which dd hasnt got?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 11-Sep-08 10:30:36

hmm blue lips could also be a sign of low oxygen intake. i have asthma and when im stuggling to breathe my back, neck and shoulders start to ache.

is she complaining of breathlessness or wheezing?

AMumInScotland Thu 11-Sep-08 10:30:38

I know that blue lips can be a symptom of heart problems, but that's generally something long term, so if it's just something that's happened the last day or two then I don't think it would be likely to be her heart. Not sure what it is though!

penona Thu 11-Sep-08 10:32:39

It can be all sorts of things, can depend on age, I notice your DD at school so am guessing over 5.
Ring NHS direct perhaps? Or better, your GP, mine do phone appts about midday for people who can't or don't want to go to surgery for this type of thing. Or can you make an appt for her after school?
Think you should put your mind at rest. Whenever I have rung NHS/GP they always say, you're their mum, trust your instincts. Better to make a fuss than ignore something.

nailpolish Thu 11-Sep-08 10:32:48

it is a symptom of a heart murmur, is that what you are thinking of? this would have been picked up at birth though

does she have a cold

or is she just cold

back aching could be to do with having a cold - achey ribs

hope she feels better soon

PinkChick Thu 11-Sep-08 10:34:14

Hi and thankssmile..no she does seem to be developing a 'little' cough but no probs breathing etc and isnt asthmatic.
She had chest infection about 3 weeks ago and doc said hes presribe AB's as it would take approx 6 weks to clear if nothing given?..could it be that she still has this?..like i say though, no 'real' cough?hmm

PinkChick Thu 11-Sep-08 10:39:47

Hi, yes she's 5 and normally VERY active and bouncing around which is why this si such a contrast!

Have just rang GP and secretary said only thing she can do is give me app this afternoon..so have left that for now and pre booked one for morning first thing, unless i have to pick her up from school, we'll keep it like this and if fine tonnight/in morning ill cancel apphmm

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 11-Sep-08 10:40:26

it could be the chest infection. re the coughing and not having asthma. being able to cough and having a wheeze that you can hear i class as a good thing during asthma attacks as it means you are getting air into your lungs. my worst attacks are when im not wheezing and coughing as i cant get in enough air to wheeze although saying that i cant eat or drink either so its more than likely not that but could be worth checking out just incase.

if she asked for warm food could it be that she was just cold as nailpolish said? and that she is tired and achey from hunger and waking early?

PinkChick Thu 11-Sep-08 10:40:34

sorry, no she doesnt seem to have a cold, however one of my mindees is off today as she has bad cough and coldhmm

nailpolish Thu 11-Sep-08 10:40:44

coul d still be chest infection

nailpolish Thu 11-Sep-08 10:41:59

maybe she is cold
give her a jumper and cosy socks

PinkChick Thu 11-Sep-08 10:42:14

Yes hopefully she just felt a little cold Shesells?, but she didnt 'say' she was cold and i asked if she wanted our covers pulling over her and she said no?, but i guess a 'cold' cold is different to 'being' cold if that makes sense?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now