Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

dd not happy today, high temp, says banged head????

(9 Posts)
lunavix Tue 09-Sep-08 20:34:21

DD (just 2) has not been right all day, she's had a constant temp of 39 which calpol hasn't brought down (3 doses over the day) and she has pretty much sat and not moved. She's dozed into 5 naps during the day (normally she's hard pushed to have one, and then she may not go to bed at 7, and she's fast asleep now) she had about 15 minutes playing this afternoon then seemed to run out of energy again. The nap things worrying me the most as she honest to god rarely sleeps. She ate a bit of lunch, but no dinner, and had had no breakfast or dinner yesterday (but seemed ok yesterday).

I haven't been entirely worried, my friends little boy threw up friday, and she (the mum) felt sick all weekend, so I thought she might have something similar, although no vomiting or diarrhoea.

However, this afternoon before bed she's been rubbing the back of her head crying saying it hurt. I asked ds if she'd hurt her head and he said on the wall at daddys. So I asked her and she said she fell over at daddys. I've asked their dad who says that she didn't hurt her head or fall over or nothing. Ds isn't entirely reliable at 4.5, and will sometimes remember stuff from ages ago or exaggerate. And dd heard him, and usually repeats it. But still, I'm wondering now if it could be related?

FlightAttendent Tue 09-Sep-08 20:36:33

I'm not sure how a high temp could be related to banging her head iyswim. However if she has a headache and a fever that isn't going down i would be a bit worried, could you ring the out of hours Dr and ask for their advice?

Keep an eye on her temp overnight.

girliefriend Tue 09-Sep-08 20:40:00

Sounds like she has a nasty bug and a bad headache prob dehydrated a bit, I wouldn't think a bang on the head would be related but talk to a gp just in case!

BigBadMousey Tue 09-Sep-08 20:52:51

Just be wary of meningitis. Not meaning to scare you at all as it is far more likely to be something less serious but just make sure you know what to look for. Have you looked at the NHS direct self help guide? That should also give advise on what to look for for meningitis too.

Have you got any neurofen at home? My DDs always get a very high temperature when they are ill and it is rarely brought down by calpol alone - you can use the two together just keep a note of hat you give and when and watch the number of doses over 24hrs.

IMO they sleep when they need to and my DD2 who never sleeps can do so all day when ill. tbh I would give NHS direct a call or at least look at that website for a professional opinion.

Hope she feels better soon. I'm always amazed at how quickly they can recover at that age.

lunavix Tue 09-Sep-08 21:03:29

okay I am now panicking about meningitis, I don't think anything else was wrong with her apart from headache, temp, drowsiness but it mentions those.. no rash or anything.

BigBadMousey Tue 09-Sep-08 21:15:16

Did you do the NHS self help guide thingy? What did it say? They will always be very wary with anything that is remotely like the start of meningitis because they need to catch it early for the best response to treatment.

I really would get a professional opinion soon or you'll be up all night worrying (and probably for no reason).

LittleMyDancing Tue 09-Sep-08 21:30:07

the rash doesn't always appear with meningitis, and by the time it does it's quite advanced, so don't rely on that as a symptom.

I would call NHS Direct just to be sure.

FlightAttendent Wed 10-Sep-08 08:40:35

How is she today Lunavix? Hope you got some sleep and she is feeling better.

lunavix Thu 11-Sep-08 19:54:43

hey

she was a total grump all yesterday and okay today. All our friends (adults and kids) have come down with a vomiting bug... quite odd but she didn't have vomiting or diarrhoea, just a high temp and looked ill. Everyone else has vomiting and diarrhoea, and doesnt look ill or have temp and it just goes. So I don't think it's related but it seemed odd that everyone has been struck down so soon.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I always panic, doesn't help I don't drive and can't get her anywhere easy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now