Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

GP prescribed antibiotics over the phone - should i give them to DS?

(5 Posts)
jimmyjammys Tue 09-Sep-08 12:54:07

hi there, My DS 13 months, has had a cold for about 2 weeks now and over the course of the last few days he has had a nasty chesty cough - bringing up phlegm (though he swallows this as he doesn't know to spit it out). His noise is constantly runny and he hasn't slept much over the last few days. He seems to have a stuffy blocked nose at night though he is bright and cheery during the day. He doesn't seem to have a temp at all. the earliest he can see the GP is friday morning so one of them phoned and i described the symptons and she said she would leave a prescription for amoxycillin out for me at reception. I don't really want to give him antibiotics at such a young age and concerned that GP has not seen him at all - however I don't want him to continue suffering. Any advice from anyone please?

trumpetgirl Tue 09-Sep-08 15:59:14

This happened to me once, but when I went to collect the prescription, the doctor came out and had a look at dd before giving it to me. I'm pretty sure they have to see the child before they can give you a prescription. Definately go and collect it (with ds) and see what happens. (I would kick up a fuss if noone sees him!)
If you're still not happy, you could go to a walk in clinic or wait for an appointment.

poppy34 Tue 09-Sep-08 16:01:07

amoxycillin very standard broad spectrum antibiotic . Is the phlegm coloured (sorry tmi) becases idf not sounds like its not something that isnt likely to be treated by antibiotics?

if you can't get into see someone earlier than friday, have you got a good chemist that might be able to recommend something that could help him sleep at night. also have you tried putting him in bath/shower to get steam going or towel on radiator (if heating on) to get slightly damp atmosphere. this really helps coughing (long bitter experience here of being almost permanently sick as a kid..)

poppy34 Tue 09-Sep-08 16:01:53

its prob not doc being lax - dad is a gp and says sees same few things all the time so is probably basing prescription on whatever is currently going around...

jimmyjammys Tue 09-Sep-08 16:33:56

thanks, I will go to pick up the prescription but there is no walk in clinic and they've said friday is the earliest - guess there is a lot of sick people about! I will def speak to the chemist - that's a great idea. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now