Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Oh damn. Have I accidentally poisoned ds2?

(14 Posts)
KerryMum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:11:12

lunch meat expired today (ballyfree chicken slices) so I gave it to him today for lunch to use up. Used the entire pack (5 slices) on two buns.

Opened his lunch box after school and the smell! He hadn't eaten his lunch meat except for half of one slice and then said it tasted bad.

sad

So what is the worst that's going to happen.

[worried]

belcantwait Mon 08-Sep-08 16:13:09

he might vomit i suspect but i imagine thats the worse that might happen hmm

horrible for you both tho. am suprised really i would have thought it should be totally fine

psychomum5 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:16:25

meat eaten on day of expiry very rarely causes poisoning. if it did, I would be dead several times over.

I suspect the smell is just from being kept warm all day and the mixture of the other foods......my kiddies lunch boxes smell rank everyday from warm tuna sandwiches, and they are clearly still alive and kickingwink

KerryMum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:16:50

it didn't smell when I opened it obviously. But it was rather wretched smelling when I collected him.

How long before I know whether he will vomit or not do you reckon?

KerryMum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:17:28

psycho he said it tasted bad. sad

psychomum5 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:21:03

well, my kiddies say anything tastes bad just when they don;t want to eat a certain something regardless of whether it contains poison or not.

but, on the worry about if he is poisoned........if he is ok now he will 99% certainly stay ok. rancid meat would normally induce immediate sickness.

KerryMum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:22:03

thanks psycho! smile

psychomum5 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:22:17

oooh, is it a new lunch box???

sometimes the sandwiches absorb new plastic taste and smell for about a week.......

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Sep-08 16:22:23

I honestly don't think he will have food poisoning. It didn't smell bad when you made the sandwiches, it was still in date (even if only just) and he only ate a small amount.

To answer your question though, time until symptoms varies a hell of a lot depending on which bug is causing the problems.

Anything from 2-6 hours for some and up to 5 days for others.

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Sep-08 16:24:01

Which, by the way is not an excuse for you to worry for up to 5 days, just a factual answer to your question.

He will be fine smile.

psychomum5 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:38:17

<<psycho thanking god for StG's last comment, not looking forward to poor kerrymum sitting in the corner being a wreck for the next five days, and carefully inspecting DS2 for signs of impending death>>

KerryMum Mon 08-Sep-08 16:39:54

grin

you know me well

SaintGeorge Mon 08-Sep-08 16:41:56

grin

Sorry, too many years working in a microbiology lab.

That was a shit job.

psychomum5 Mon 08-Sep-08 16:44:17

StG, flame worked in one of them too!!!

KM, I am the same, I also sit and rock in the corner watching for signs of impending death......wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now