Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How much is too much for a 2 year old to drink in a day?

(14 Posts)
devonsmummy Sun 07-Sep-08 21:02:37

Just been away with a friend and her 2 year old DS and am shocked by the amount he constantly drinks.
For example we stopped off for food at lunch time and he drank a whole beaker of orange juice and then half a pint of his dad's coke and still wanted more.
He easily drank 12 beakers of juice plus 3-4 bottles of milk in a day.
His parents don't seem to think it's a problem but I was worried about salt levels etc with such a high fluid intake.
Does this seem excessive to you?

devonsmummy Sun 07-Sep-08 21:30:07

bump

Lizzylou Sun 07-Sep-08 21:31:59

Way more than either of mine drink (4.5 and 2.5yrs).
Would be worried about the sugar as well (coke/juice), mine only have milk/water between meals.

bonkerz Sun 07-Sep-08 21:33:58

my dd drinks like a fish, she can drink upto 4 pints of water a day and also has a full beaker of milk at night and sometimes at lunchtime.

frankbestfriend Sun 07-Sep-08 21:34:59

Yes it seems excessive, and I would be worried not only about his salt levels but the amount of sugar he is having and also the supressant effect it could have on his appetite for food.

Lots of children can confuse feelings of hunger and thirst so perhaps he could have a healthy snack rather than a drink?
If he is truly thirsty though, I would see my GP to rule out a medical condition like diabetes for example.

Sycamoretree Sun 07-Sep-08 21:42:10

My DD 3 also drinks like a fish - she has about a quarter fruit juice to water in her beaker, and probably does about 8 a day (that's like, large Avent sport beaker size). She'd do more if I let her - she can't sip at it - she has to do the whole lot in one. Some kids like to drink more than others - I think it's good for her to have plenty of fluid, but the coke and pure juice is just wrong on so many levels, least of which is the volume of fluid. I just cannot understand how any kid that age would be given coke.

devonsmummy Sun 07-Sep-08 21:43:38

thanks for your replies

Have just been discussing with DH how best to bring up the subject with his parents.

He does have problems with frequently leaking nappies and runny bums.

The fluid intake is having an effect on his appetite for food.My friend commented that my DS, 22mths, had eaten more for breakfast than her DS for the entire week.

I don't think that she has equated the high fluid intake with low food intake though.
I don't want to appear to be interfering but feel I should say something.

devonsmummy Sun 07-Sep-08 21:43:42

thanks for your replies

Have just been discussing with DH how best to bring up the subject with his parents.

He does have problems with frequently leaking nappies and runny bums.

The fluid intake is having an effect on his appetite for food.My friend commented that my DS, 22mths, had eaten more for breakfast than her DS for the entire week.

I don't think that she has equated the high fluid intake with low food intake though.
I don't want to appear to be interfering but feel I should say something.

Sycamoretree Sun 07-Sep-08 21:50:40

If you do, make sure it's in response to something like her comment about your DS eating more than hers did in a week. Make something up like "oh, do you know he didn't always eat that much, but then I stopped giving him so much milk at breakfast, or juice or whatever, because obviously that fills their tummies up, and he suddenly started really tucking in". If the mum is a good friend and not worried, she might not respond well to advice offered unasked for. Depends on whether you are bothered about offending her I suppose. But poor kid if he's got a runny bottom from all that nasty coke...

devonsmummy Sun 07-Sep-08 21:59:05

Yes will have to choose the right moment - will see her later in week and I'm sure we'll speak about our holiday so maybe have a chance then.

The coke was a one off as far as I know - he just grabbed his dad's drink. I think the orange juice is the culprit to be honest.

Northernwitch Mon 08-Sep-08 17:44:49

Hi there - just out of interest what would happen if her DS was NOT given his usual amount to drink? Would he vomit - or get all panicky? Can he deal with food when he's not tirsty but not cope with it is he is thirsty?

Has the health visitor or anyone raised any issues and is the DS on the normal scale with height and weight? Many doctors would think this was behavioural but your friend should get diabetes ruled out if she thinks it's not.

If it might be diabetes could you gently point out that there are 2 types of diabetes? One is the 'sugar' diabetes that everyone has heard about and the other is water diabetes - or diabetes inspididus -a very real and serious condition which will need medical help but once diagnosed can be managed.

It happened to me with my DS who wouldn't eat anything just wanted to drink - from puddles/cat bowl/vases of flowers - he was so thirsty but everyone (in the medical profession)kept telling me that he drank too much. Friends and family could all see that something was very wrong. Our consultant missed it totally but it turned out my DS had diabetes insipidus - and couldn't contol his thirst. He was diagnosed at 18months.

In particular if your friend stopped giving him liquids and tried to give him food and he starts vomiting she should press for the test to be sure.

gagarin Mon 08-Sep-08 17:48:30

The real test is if she just offers him water and nothing else. And from a beaker (no bottles).

Not mnay kids would drink water to excess unless they had a problem like Northernwitches lo.

devonsmummy Mon 08-Sep-08 20:36:45

Thanks for the advice Northernwitch - diabetes had crossed our minds too.
I don't know what would happen if he was refused drinks as I'm sure he hasn't been so far.
Will have to try and raise the subject when I see her

Northernwitch Tue 09-Sep-08 18:59:39

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now