Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Toddler salt overdose? Help!

(7 Posts)
ImpyChica Sun 07-Sep-08 09:08:29

Hi there. In a bit of a panic as 2.2 ds may have swallowed a load of salt this morning. He was eating his breakfast, I popped to the loo, and when I got back I realised he'd emptied the salt shaker over his weetabix.... He wasn't tucking in to it - had realised that it tasted awful - but surely even if he's eaten a teaspoon, that would be too much? I live in Spain so can't ring NHS Direct or anything. I'm probably being paranoid about it but prefer to be overcautious... Any advice gratefully received. Thanks, Impy

Podrick Sun 07-Sep-08 09:10:57

why not ring your doctor?

Cies Sun 07-Sep-08 09:11:12

Impychica, I´m in Spain too. Call the Telefono de atencion sanitaria - 902 400 116

squigglywig Sun 07-Sep-08 09:11:40

Do you have a GP you can call there? I'd get it checked (also paranoid!)

Cies Sun 07-Sep-08 09:13:03

I hope that´s not just for Galicia. Um, I´ve got the leaflet here and it´s talking about Galicia... well, give it a try.

If not, look in paginas amarillas - they´ll probably list a number to call.

ImpyChica Sun 07-Sep-08 09:27:13

Thanks everyone! I just rang our healthcare emergency number and got put through to a doctor who said "salt? that's not a problem" and I said "but I've read some cases of children overdosing on salt" and he asked ds's age (2) and said "oh no, it'll be fine". Ho hum. I'll keep a close eye on him and whisk him off to A&E if I have any doubts. Thanks again all. Impy x

stripeymama Sun 07-Sep-08 09:40:10

I caught DD (then 1.9) standing in the hallway holding the salt shaker looking vvv guilty. I asked if she'd eaten any and she said "Nononon..." <vomit all over feet>

grin

I think as a one off its fine (though not ideal obv, and may make them sick) - its sustained overconsumption thats really dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now