Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any non-medication tips for getting toddler through the common cold?

(10 Posts)
PhDiva Sat 06-Sep-08 10:26:29

For example, one mum swears by rubbing a mixture of lavender oil, eucalyptus oil and tea tree oil onto the soles of their feet. Anything else that will get me, and of course my lo, through tonight?

Sidge Sat 06-Sep-08 10:43:05

Karvol in a bowl of very hot water near the sleeping child (but not within reach obviously).

ReallyTired Sat 06-Sep-08 10:45:34

A humidifer that is our of reach of the child is good. Some humidifiers have a vapour cup which you can put a few drops of oil of olbas in.

Vicks vapour rub on the chest, an extra pillow to raise the head.

Janni Sat 06-Sep-08 10:56:37

A more long term approach - my daughter has CF so is prone to chest infections and the parents on the CF Trust website swear by high strength garlic capsules, throughout the winter (that could be for all the family, not just the toddler) and manuka honey. You can use the honey in food or just give a teaspoon of it 'neat'.

I agree with the tips you've already been given.

PhDiva Sat 06-Sep-08 13:13:42

Thanks everyone. Janni, do you find that the garlic capsules work? Any side effects?

Janni Sat 06-Sep-08 17:34:30

I don't know, sorry PhDiva - I've only just read about them myself, so am going to start giving them to my DD. I would be very surprised if there were side effects. DH already takes them and swears by them.

hugeheadofhair Sat 06-Sep-08 17:47:34

If your child suffers from a blocked nose, a cut-in half onion under the bed helps. Makes the whole bedroom stink though, but LO won't smell it anyway wink

PhDiva Sat 06-Sep-08 20:17:57

Right, I'm off to cut a onion in half and fill a bowl of water.. ds is already moaning in his sleep, so tonight will probably be another shocker!

nell12 Sat 06-Sep-08 20:20:58

Elevate the head end of his cot/bed... a couple of books under each bed leg or a pillow under the cot mattress.

madmarriedNika Sat 06-Sep-08 20:52:12

I use olbas oil (children's version) for helping un-stuff noses- just a couple of drops on bedding or clothes.

Using onions in cooking (soups if your LO is like mine and not keen on seeing onions in food!) is meant to be good as can help thin mucous.

Echinacea is also very good- the homeopathic version comes in very small powdery tablets that LOs can easily swallow- use 6C strength for children.

To ward off colds this sounds pretty awful but leave a couple of peeled garlic cloves in the bedroom...garlic has strong antiviral properties but if your LO is under 2 garlic casules may be too strong and can cause indigestion. Cook with small amounts of it too.

Standing in a warm steamy bathroom helps...

Hi to Janni- my DD has CF too. Just started manuka honey also! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now