Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I be Worried about This?

(8 Posts)
FrockHorror Fri 05-Sep-08 16:57:54

DS is 3 months old and up until last night, was feeding on demand every 2-3 hourly. His feeds have recently been upped from 5ozs to 6 ozs because he was draining the bottles and crying for more.

However, last night he was fed a 6oz bottle at around 9 and went down to bed at 10. He slept through until 8 this morning, with the occasional wake for his dummy in the night. I know it was his dummy he was crying for because he was falling straight back to sleep as soon as it was in.

This morning he woke up and was literally screaming for his bottle, which I was expecting being that it had been almost 12 hours since his last feed. I gave him a 6oz bottle and he took 2ozs. He was quiet after that, but still smiley and generally happy. I offered him the bottle again about 10 minutes later but he kept spitting it out and smiling at me.

We then went to town and did a bit of shopping. In the meantime, DS has fallen asleep in his buggy and stayed this way for about 5 hours. In the end, I woke him again to feed him as he had had so little. Again he only took 2ozs and is refusing the bottle again.

He seems fine in himself, but I'm concerned that he has had only 4ozs in almost 24 hours. This feeding pattern is totally unlike him as he is usually screaming for his feeds every 2-3 hours. The sleeping thing isn't really worrying me as he has days when he is awake and only has a couple of 10 minute naps through the day, sleeping well at night and then others when he sleeps for long periods.

Am I worrying over nothing? I think perhaps I am as he seems quite content in himself. I'm going to try again with his bottle and see what happens.

FrockHorror Fri 05-Sep-08 17:14:57

lulumama Fri 05-Sep-08 17:17:04

he will feed when he is hungry.. he might have been having a massive growth spurt..if he is happy, alert, weeing and pooing, don;t worry too much. if he continues to take tiny amounts then you might want to have him checked over, only that you don;t want him to get dehydrated. it is probaly just a blip, and he will be back to draining his bottles again very soon.

psychomum5 Fri 05-Sep-08 17:21:14

has he just had any of his jabs at all????

they often have a blip in the few days post-jabs.

or lulumama is hitting the nail on the head, and it will have been a growth-spurt that he is now calming down from.

as long as he is happy and smily, then try not to fret.

doggiesayswoof Fri 05-Sep-08 17:22:30

I'd be concerned if he carried on like this into another day, because of dehydration risk.

Ds is 3 months too and had a similar day recently as well. He fed at 7pm then slept til about 6am (never happens!) and then only had about 2oz. He was back on track again the next day though - think lulu may be right about the growth spurt.

hotpotmama Fri 05-Sep-08 17:25:51

I would take him to A and E or phone NHS direct.

When my DS was 4 weeks old, he didn't feed all night and was wailing. Contacted emergency doc and he was rubbish, wasn't interested, told me to contact my HV. Took him to A and E as trusted my instinct that something wasn't right and he ended up in hospital with suspected meningitis for 10 days. Wasn't that, turned out to be a urine infection but he was really poorly.

Am not trying to scare you, just wanted to say trust your instinct even if someone else tells you otherwise, you know best.If you are worried get him checked sooner rather than later

FrockHorror Fri 05-Sep-08 17:26:39

I did think of the growth spurt thing, because in the couple of days prior to yesterday he was feeding what felt like constantly. He was also quite whingy which is unlike him generally.

I managed to get him to take another 3 ozs so I'm feeling a bit better now.

He was due his 2nd jabs today but DH had to work late and I can't do it by myself blush so it's not a jab thing. Funnily enough, after his first lot of jabs, he slept pretty much for 24 hours with the odd scream for a feed. It worried me then too so I phoned NHS direct who practically laughed me off the phone blush.

Think I will give it another day and hopefully he will be feeling more himself. Thanks for the advice smile

hotpotmama Fri 05-Sep-08 17:31:24

Just watch out for signs of him being dehydrated. It's awful isn't it when the doctors make you feel like you are wasting your time.

I am still so angry about the doctor who I saw who shrugged it off as nothing.Yes I often like to drive into town at 2 in the morning with my baby for no good reason! If I had listened to him and not taken my baby to A and E then god knows what state he would have been in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now