Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Don't they reach an age when they stop getting Croup?

(11 Posts)
KerryMum Fri 05-Sep-08 09:21:45

ds2 will be 6 next month and during the night he had a bad case of croup again. Prior to that he had said he needed his throat spray but that was only symptom.

Don't they grow out of this?

KerryMum Fri 05-Sep-08 11:16:11

no one cares about poor ds2 sad

yes they do seem to kerry. ds1 was a bugger for getting croup-really really bad doses of it too-ie. getting blue lighted to hospital and ending up in the resus room and being hospitalised for 3 days bad.

but for th past year or two(touches wood, crosses fingers, turns around 3 times and salutes every magpie she can see} he ha not had it.

the dr we saw at the hospital on one occassion said that as he got older-and bigger-he wouldn't get it as his throat would be wider.

mehgalegs Fri 05-Sep-08 11:22:36

DS3 had it last Dec, aged 4, very seriously, ended up in hospital on oxygen and steroid treatment. He'd never had it before and hopefully will never get it again.

Was told same as tmmj, as they grow there airways mature and widen too. Usually from the age of 5 or so.

We were told same about DS1's glue ear, that he would grow out if it by age 5 but last year at 8 he had a bad bout so I guess it can vary.

KerryMum Fri 05-Sep-08 12:02:55

he had absolutely no symptoms at all. Just horrible dose of croup in the middle of the night. sad

summer111 Sun 07-Sep-08 17:31:21

dd grew out of it by aged 7 thank god, had it since 18 mths.

foxinsocks Sun 07-Sep-08 17:40:19

hmm mine have just had a dose of it. Dd is 8, ds is about to be 7. I hope this is their last year of it (but I think if I look on mumsnet I said that last year and the year before and err the year before!).

If it's any consolation, their symptoms have become less severe as they have got older or it may be that they know themselves how to cope with the symptoms better.

Still awful though kerrymum. Poor ds2.

MumWith2Boys Sun 07-Sep-08 18:55:05

DS1's last attack of croup was Easter Sunday when yet again we went to A+E and were admitted. I asked the nurses the age of the oldest child they'd ever had admitted at our hospital with croup and they said 7 ...

So that leaves my DS1 3 more years. His symptoms haven't got less severe with age unfortunately.

(By the way the joker GP who we saw at A+E before admitting us kept insisting it wasn't croup but asthma as it wasn't "croup season".....)

Poor boy. Good luck.

psychomum5 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:56:55

should be about 7, but DD1 was always a sufferer and she got it still when she was 11.

she now gets laryngitis (sp?) which AFAIK is the adult form of croup.

Elibean Sun 07-Sep-08 19:41:39

Poor lad. I hope he has a better night tonight, KerryMum (you too, obviously).

belgo Sun 07-Sep-08 19:44:18

Oh dear, your poor ds. Croup is horrible. I had it for the first time aged 30 last year. It was very scarey, I woke up unable to breathe. My dd1 had it last year as well aged 3 and that was horrible as well - staying up with her all night for a few nights in a row to try and help her breathing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now