Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should we take a 3 week old to stay with a toddler who has just had chickenpox?

(14 Posts)
SazzlesA Thu 04-Sep-08 10:48:19

Message withdrawn

nickytwotimes Thu 04-Sep-08 10:51:49

I think that they are fine once they are all scabbed over, but I'm a bit paranoid about chickenpox and might be tempted to steer clear to be extra safe.

WigWamBam Thu 04-Sep-08 10:53:49

If it's over a week since the first spots arrived, and the spots are completely crusted over, then he is not infectious anymore and it will be fine.

Does the toddler have any siblings who might be incubating chicken pox, though? That would make me consider not going, but otherwise I would.

SazzlesA Thu 04-Sep-08 10:55:07

Message withdrawn

MadamAnt Thu 04-Sep-08 10:58:15

If you're BFing, your baby will be receiving immunity from your milk.

LadyPenelope Thu 04-Sep-08 10:59:33

Once no new spots coming out and others have crusted over, they are no longer infectious. Anyone else in contact with the toddler though, who has not had chicken pox before (another child or an adult), could be incubating it.

I think it has up to 20 day incubation and you are infectious a day or 2 before any spots appear. I can't remember exactly, so worth checking.

If adults have all had it before and no other siblings, then I would go. (Avoid seeing other kids eg, friends and neighbours if poss to be extra careful.)

ChirpyGirl Thu 04-Sep-08 11:02:40

I would go. My elder sisters caught chicken pox at school the week after I was born and I was intentionally infected on gp's advice so I wouldn't have to deal with it later in life. My mother said I was a lot easier to treat than the others as I couldn't scratch!

It isn't very likely that they are still infectious but I am pretty sure no harm can come of your baby having the pox at this age

nickytwotimes Thu 04-Sep-08 11:03:24

MadamAnt, bfing won't provide immunity to chickenpox.

Guadalupe Thu 04-Sep-08 11:07:23

I wouldn't go if they are 'pretty much' crusted over. Not with a tiny baby, just in case. I might consider it if they'd said completely crusted but then I err on the side of caution.

ClosedForCleaning Thu 04-Sep-08 11:11:16

I'd be with LadyP on this. Providing all spots are crusted over, and baby is not exposed to anyone that could be incubating CP its a safe time to go (much safer than in you'd visited two weeks ago in blissful ignorance!).

NHS Direct has some good advice on their website. I would hate for a baby of mine to have ChickenPox at three weeks, so understand your anxiety.

ClosedForCleaning Thu 04-Sep-08 11:14:18

mmm... it would be a toss-up between my rational self and my protective mummy-self. That's not very helpful is it!!

SazzlesA Thu 04-Sep-08 11:25:31

Message withdrawn

MadamAnt Thu 04-Sep-08 11:53:55

nicky - sorry, I meant to say antibodies, not immunity. If the baby contracts CP, it is likely to be much less severe if he/she if BF.

bandgeek Thu 04-Sep-08 12:17:00

BF did my dd no favours when she had chickenpox at 5 months old - I had never had it before then either though! smile

<winces at the memory of having to feed DD when every single part of me was covered in spots!>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now