Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

5yo DS previously very active now constantly tired and miserable

(5 Posts)
Pisha Thu 04-Sep-08 10:47:57

DS1 was always very active and full of energy, in fact constantly on the go and totally exhausting!

Started school last year, an August baby so only just 4, but did very well. He was often tired in the afternoons but after a little rest and a snack after school would be on the go again.

For the last term or so of last school year he seemed to be struggling much more, very tired and quite grumpy and stroppy and just very negative about everything compared to his previously very happy and positive self. I put it down to school being that much harder in preparation for yr 1.

However it has carried on all through the summer holidays. He seems tired all the time, often needed persuading to play outside in the garden and even if he did it would only be a short while before he came back in again to sit and watch tv or play quietly with his toys or on the wii. Hes still very negative and stroppy and just miserable really sad

He also quite often complains of tummy ache and seems to get an upset tummy fairly often. Hes eating reasonably but not much for him and someone this morning (1st day back at school) commented on how much he has slimmed down.

I think its quite possible it could just be an age thing or a growth spurt or that school has really taken it out of him but I have made him a drs appointment this afternoon as I want to make sure there is nothing else going on.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be or what I should be asking the Dr to do? My drs are fairly hit and miss, some very good but some hopeless and we never seem to see the same one! Its a new dr today so I want to be prepared in case I get someone who tries to just fob me off iyswim?

nickytwotimes Thu 04-Sep-08 10:55:35

Ask for the standard blood tests, blood count for aneamia, blood sugar, etc.
Also, could hae have had glandular fever? My friend's wee girl had it when she was 7 and was run down for a few months.

Boyswillbeboys Thu 04-Sep-08 11:01:56

Tiredness can sometimes be a sign of diabetes - along with thirst and/or needing to wee a lot. I think blood tests would definitely be the first thing a GP should do, like nickytwotimes said.

Pisha Thu 04-Sep-08 21:48:00

Hello, sorry to post and disappear, had internet problems and only just sorted it!

Don't think hes had glandular fever, hasn't really had anything other than tummy bug for a while now.

He does drink a lot but then he always has, as a toddler he used to drink loads so its fairly normal for him.

Took him to dr this afternoon and he was actually very good (the dr, not ds, although ds1 was very good too!). Said he couldn't find anything wrong with him after examining him but is sending him for blood tests and if they come back clear but I am still concerned then he will refer him to a paediatrician.

He also suggested I talk to his school and see if they had any concerns or had noticed anything about him.

Its so nice to actually see a dr who listens and doesn't try and dismiss everything as paranoia/hypochondria!

Thanks for replies smile

Boyswillbeboys Fri 05-Sep-08 11:16:14

Glad you had a good experience at the GP, sometimes they can make you feel like your problems are so trivial can't they!

Good luck and I hope its nothing to worry about smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now