Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ringworm!! Advice needed please

(10 Posts)
lollystar Wed 03-Sep-08 23:31:28

Ever feel like you're having one of those months where they catch EVERYTHING going..? That's me.

DD has got a patch of ringworm just below her eye. She's fine in herself but nursery can't accept her as it's so contagious. Fair enough really. I've got some anti-fungal cream from the GP, and it's going on twice a day as prescribed.

What I need to know is how long does it take to clear up? I'm fast running out of every type of leave you can think of at work, so is DH, and will be forced into unpaid leave soon There isn't anyone else that can have her, our parents all work, sister lives too far away and has small children. I could do with gauging how much my paypacket is going to drop by <<< bangs head against wall >>>

Seona1973 Thu 04-Sep-08 13:46:11

it took me a couple of months to get rid of a patch of ringworm on my wrist. BTW no-one else in the family caught it so it cant be that contagious.

GentleOtter Thu 04-Sep-08 13:56:14

Gentian violet helps get rid of ringworm.
This article here gives some info.

Boyswillbeboys Thu 04-Sep-08 14:05:23

DS1 had it during the Summer term, took a good few months to clear up. I asked the school and their policy was to accept child at school if they are having treatment. Seems unfair for nursery not to accept her, as it can take ages to go.

lollystar Thu 04-Sep-08 14:35:07

Oh god, I'm panicking now. Have just asked the nursery how long they expect me to keep her off for considering it can take months to clear. Waiting for the manager to call me back.

lollystar Thu 04-Sep-08 15:00:42

ok, they've just called me back. They can have her back once the patch has started to shrink. She's been using the cream for 2 days now - any ideas on how long before it start taking effect?

Boyswillbeboys Thu 04-Sep-08 17:44:36

Should only take a couple of days for it to start to get smaller, my GP told me to keep applying cream for 2 weeks after patch had gone because it is very persistent. If it doesn't seem to be getting smaller, go back to GP and they might have to give you something stronger with a bit of steroid in it.

BTW, I was worried that everyone would catch it but actually no-one else in our family did.

lollystar Fri 05-Sep-08 17:16:53

thanks for all the advice

FrockHorror Fri 05-Sep-08 17:19:55

In this area, children aren't excluded from schools and nursery for having ringworm provided it is being treated. It is contagious, I have caught it myself from children at nursery but had I been made to stay away from work because of it, I wouldn't have worked for months.

Might be worth checking with your local health dept about it. Seems a bit extreme to me.

puffylovett Fri 05-Sep-08 21:59:33

DS has had a persistent patch on his upper lip for about a year - the GP kept telling us it was eczema (which he has elsewhere).
My cranial Osteo recently disagreed, so i have treated it with a drop of tea tree in some calendula cream.
I've only done 3 applications and it's almost disappeared.
Worth a try ! Tea tree is highly anti fungal. Just be careful she doesn't rub it in to her eyes and make sure it's well mixed with the carrier cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now