Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

just found a lump on my 2-yr old's tummy...

(15 Posts)
snooks Wed 03-Sep-08 19:38:16

noticed it when he was lying down after his bath and i was putting his nappy on. it's about an inch above his tummy button and the size of a small pea, it feels sort of soft. when i move the skin up and down, the lump stays there without moving with the skin, if that makes sense - as if it's 'fixed'.

will take him to gp tomorrow, i'm sure it's nothing - but i feel scared.

flack Wed 03-Sep-08 19:40:41

Can 2yos get skin tags, I wonder?

You know the odds of him getting badly injured or killed on the road on the way to the surgery are higher than the chances of it being anything malignant, right?

Not trying to scare you, just saying that of course you'll take him to GP to get it checked out, so if that risk (of travel in car) is acceptable, the chances of it being anything bad are just also so really very tiny.

nickytwotimes Wed 03-Sep-08 19:41:56

I get something like that. Mine are just little fatty lumps and go away by themselves. I'm sure your GP will be able to put your mind at rest, but it is hard not to worry.

Dozymare Wed 03-Sep-08 19:42:16

could it be a hernia???? I know a few boys who had this at birth........want to echo what flack said, I am sure it is nothing sinister but agree get it checked.

snooks Wed 03-Sep-08 19:46:26

i thought about a hernia - but surely they don't come along at age 2 do they? i know what you mean flack,the chances are small, but still...

nicky2times are your fatty lumps 'fixed' under the skin or do they move when you move your skin (like cellulite). i shouldn't be asking this question til i know more should i?

snooks Wed 03-Sep-08 19:47:16

thanks everyone btw.

nickytwotimes Wed 03-Sep-08 19:50:11

Well, they move a little, but they may be totally different on a wee one because they have such little subcutaneous fat, unlike us, lol!

dramaqueen Wed 03-Sep-08 19:52:46

My ds had a hernia in exactly the place you mentioned. It was a small soft lump. He had it stitced up and it is fine now. I did freak out when I found it, just after his bath one night. I am sure it is nothing to worry about, but let us know how you get on at the doctors.

Dozymare Wed 03-Sep-08 19:54:20

I think you can get a hernia at any age.....

snooks Wed 03-Sep-08 19:57:18

it sounds like that dramaqueen, was your ds a baby still? (i thought hernias like that only really happened to newborns <ignorant>)

ds2 is 2.4.

thanks also nicky. hope it is what you say.

snooks Wed 03-Sep-08 19:57:44

xpost dozymare!

dramaqueen Wed 03-Sep-08 20:07:40

He was just under a year old when I found it.

snooks Wed 03-Sep-08 20:18:47

thanks, will update when i've been to the gp.

thanks for the replies all.

snooks Thu 04-Sep-08 21:04:07

Hi there! well it is a hernia - and I am so thankful it isn't anything 'serious'.

Bless the little chap, he's just been diagnosed with glue ear so we are in the midst of getting treatment for that - but, hey-ho, in the scheme of things these things happen and as I said, I am so grateful that it isn't anything worse.

<big 'phew' emoticon>

flack Fri 05-Sep-08 18:39:59

Good news, snooks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now