Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How many baby teeth actually come out?

(17 Posts)
KerryMum Wed 03-Sep-08 10:04:43

I know I sound thick but I thought all their baby teeth fell out. But it appears not to be the case. Do all molars stay in forever? At approximately what age do teeth stop falling out?

pageturner Wed 03-Sep-08 10:06:55

I thought molars came out about 12. I think they are all meant to come out, though having said that, DH (40) still has one of his!

Weegiemum Wed 03-Sep-08 10:08:00

All fallout, normally.
Some after there is a lot of need for a tooth fairy, though!

snickersnack Wed 03-Sep-08 10:09:12

I still have some baby canine teeth on the top (I'm 35). Dentists are always quite surprised that they're still there, though they are starting to need attention. But that's quite unusual. I realise that doesn't answer your question, though - sorry.

KerryMum Wed 03-Sep-08 10:10:48

so all the molars in ds1's mouth now (he's almost 10) will eventually fall out?

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Sep-08 10:35:26

They all go - or should anyway! DS (14) still has one premolar baby tooth, which for some reason has just not shifted. But that is unusual, so I'd guess your DS will be losing them over the next 2 or 3 years.

Khara Wed 03-Sep-08 10:36:26

I was wondering the time-scale of teeth dropping out too. My ds1 is 10 and has only lost 8 teeth in total - 4 top, 4 bottom at the front. He still has his canines and molars - although he has grown extra molars at the back. He hasn't lost any teeth for years. I don't remember losing any teeth after primary school (except my wisdom teeth but they were extracted!) but I could be wrong. My mum reckons that she had to have some milk teeth removed because they weren't falling out, so that the second teeth could come through. Oh well, we're off to the dentist soon so I suppose I could ask him!

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Sep-08 10:56:53

I just found this site on google, which has the typical ages for losing teeth.

Central incisor 8 - 12 months 6 - 7 yrs.
Lateral incisor 9 - 13 months 7 - 8 yrs.
Canine 16 - 22 months 10 - 12 yrs.
First molar 13 - 19 months 9 - 11 yrs.
Second molar 25 - 33 months 10 - 12 yrs.

So, not unusual to still have the canines and molars at 10, but they're likely to go by about 12.

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Sep-08 10:58:10

Sorry that table didn't come out very clearly - the first is the age when they get the teeth, the second when they lose them.

KerryMum Wed 03-Sep-08 11:10:31

now I'm worried.

How do I explain the molars ds2 is getting in now in the very back? He's not even 6 yet. And they are not replacing existing teeth that have fallen out.

quickdrawmcgraw Wed 03-Sep-08 11:13:34

they start with 20 baby teeth and end up with 28 adult teeth (before wisdom teeth which they may of may not get) It means the teeth that your ds 2 is getting now are his adult teeth. They won't come out.
dd has grown her back adult molars before she'd lost any of her milk teeth.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 12:59:57

KM,my DS has recently got two top and two bottom "adult" molars (his first molars I assume) and he has just turned 6 but still has his "baby" molars as well; the new ones have filled up the gap at the back of his gums. Of his baby teeth, only one of the bottom incisors has fallen out so far and new one not in yet.

I need to get him to the dentist though, just to make sure all is well especially if he isn't meant to get them until around 9 or 10.

AMumInScotland Wed 03-Sep-08 13:05:01

The ones at the back would be the "third" molars, counting from the front backwards. That table didn't say anything about those, but I'm sure I remember DS getting his before he lost the baby molars, so I think it's normal. But do check with the dentist when you're in for a checkup, or wait for ComeOVeneer to see this thread, as she's the expert!

Seona1973 Wed 03-Sep-08 13:36:12

Teething chart

According to the above you get your first permanent molars around the age of 6 - they dont replace the baby teeth as they are in addition to the 20 baby teeth.

jasper Wed 03-Sep-08 13:46:40

I am a dentist.

the adult first molars come through about age 5-6 BEHIND all the baby teeth ie no back baby teeth fall out first to let them through.

There is no such thing as third baby molars.

yes all baby teeth eventually fall out as long as there is a permanent successor

KerryMum Wed 03-Sep-08 14:18:17

thanks!!!

smile

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 14:51:19

thanks jasper, that has clarified DSs molar situation as well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now