Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What do you do if you can't get a babies temperature down?

(32 Posts)
Nbg Tue 02-Sep-08 19:17:48

Ds2 nearly 9 months, had a temp of 38.5 when I put him to bed 20 mins ago.
Its gone up and down all day so I've been giving him calpol and calprofen. It takes it down but it goes back up again.

He feels really hot so I've only put him to bed in a nappy.

I think its to do with teething as one of his top teeth is coming through and he has also had diorreah (sp) today.

Should I be bothered if I cant get the temp down?
I know its not massively high but I've always been told anything over 37 is a high temp.

fryalot Tue 02-Sep-08 19:19:02

NHS direct guidelines say if it is constantly high for three days to see a doc.

Obviously if it goes ridiculously high then get a doc anyway

lulumama Tue 02-Sep-08 19:20:32

tepid sponging ? if the medicine is bringing it down , then don';t panic too much and ensure he is hydrated

poor little thing

Nbg Tue 02-Sep-08 19:22:02

Well I think it started late last night so nowhere near 3 days.

I'll just keep an eye on him then.

I hate going to bed when babies have a temp.

Thanks for the quick replies.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 19:23:58

If you're worried at all call NHS direct or the OOH doctor.
If it's an ear infection they can escalate pretty quickly ime.

Hope it settles through the night though smile

Nbg Tue 02-Sep-08 19:29:33

Would I be able to tell if he has an ear infection?

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 19:42:46

DS and DD both used to pull at the affected ear or shake their heads, and when DD was BFing she would get very upset if she was laid flat or was feeding with the sore side down iyswim.

jammydodger Tue 02-Sep-08 19:45:06

Keep up the brufen and paracetamol, try a fan in the room too? My GP suggests taking a really hot baby or toddler outside wearing just a nappy, even in the night, to cool them down. You may get some strange looks from the neighbours but it cools them down very quickly. We've done it a few times in the past.

Nbg Tue 02-Sep-08 19:50:13

I dont think he's been pulling his ear.
God I hope it isnt an ear infection.

I'll go and check him in a few minutes and if he's still hot I'll take him outside.

Thank you all smile

DrGeorge Tue 02-Sep-08 20:15:43

Try and get your ibuprofen and paracetamol staggered so you're giving one then the other every 3 hours or so, rather than closer together then you get longer cover. I tend to try a tepid bath - not too cold or they'll hate it easier and better tolerated than tepid spongeing. Keep in just a nappy or very light sheet only. I used to be paranoid with mine as babies and they would sleep in with us if poorly, but this probably doesn't help!

squeaver Tue 02-Sep-08 20:18:24

Have you tried a cool bath?

Twiglett Tue 02-Sep-08 20:18:50

you can get the temp down though, it's just when the paracetomal and ibuprofen wear off it goes up again .. that's normal

just keep dosing him .. try a fan .. I don't personally like the sponging / baths idea

if you really can't get his temp down and it's over 39.8 .. ie an hour after ibuprofen it's still up there and rising then I'd A&E it tbh

spicemonster Tue 02-Sep-08 20:18:53

If you're really worried, can you sleep in the same room with him? I always sleep with my DS when he has a temp just so I can keep an eye on him. His goes up to 38 or so every time he cuts a tooth. Horrid isn't it?

lulalullabye Tue 02-Sep-08 20:28:17

the outside thing is great but I agree with twiglett, tepid baths/sponges cool the body down far too quickly and they have to be reall precise temp. Hospitals don't recommend them anymore.

As has been said, if his temp is coming down with drugs then don't worry, just ride it out for a day or so but go to doc or hospital if constantly over 39.

lulalullabye Tue 02-Sep-08 20:29:19

P.s put a fan in his room to cool the air but don't direct it at him, just cool his room iyswim

Nbg Tue 02-Sep-08 21:12:08

Thanks everyone smile

I've been into him and he was fast asleep so I checked his temp and its gone down to 36.9 which is good.
I'll check him again now and if its gone up I'll wake him for a dose of calpol.

Its bloody typical it happens now. I've just started to get him sleeping through and now this hmm
Grrrrrr.

snickersnack Tue 02-Sep-08 21:23:29

Last time I rang them, NHS Direct told me they didn't recommend Calpol and Nurofen staggered any more - something to do with it masking the symptoms. It didn't make much sense, but she was very insistent I should pick one and stick to it. She said to give dd Calpol, strip her off, cover her with a sheet and open a window, then check in 30 mins that the temp had come down - didn't matter by how much, the important thing was that it wasn't too high.

Glad he's feeling a bit better - don't worry about the sleeping, IME once they get the idea of sleeping the occasional illness doesn't do too much to throw them off course.

snickersnack Tue 02-Sep-08 21:23:48

Last time I rang them, NHS Direct told me they didn't recommend Calpol and Nurofen staggered any more - something to do with it masking the symptoms. It didn't make much sense, but she was very insistent I should pick one and stick to it. She said to give dd Calpol, strip her off, cover her with a sheet and open a window, then check in 30 mins that the temp had come down - didn't matter by how much, the important thing was that it wasn't too high.

Glad he's feeling a bit better - don't worry about the sleeping, IME once they get the idea of sleeping the occasional illness doesn't do too much to throw them off course.

Kbear Tue 02-Sep-08 21:25:13

A doctor in the casualty unit I took DS to said to stagger calpol and nurofen, as have many other doctors I have seen since.

ReallyTired Tue 02-Sep-08 21:29:25

If you give him a bath, give him a tepid bath. Giving a child a cold bath is not just outright mean but less effective because blood circulation to the skin is reduced when someone is cold.

You could use a fan if you don't want to open a window. Or take them for a trip out in the buggy.

Greedygirl Tue 02-Sep-08 22:00:26

Oh hi, sorry for gatecrashing this thread, just really pleased to see it because I am worried about my 9 month old too. Does anyone know if a high temperature is linked to constipation because he has been constipated today. Only second day back at work and came home to a very sleepy, hot, unhappy baby sad.

Nbq - hope your LO is ok now.

Igotwheels Tue 02-Sep-08 22:17:07

At 5months DS had a temp of 40.3. i gave Calpol, and Calbruprofen. Stripped him down and used a wet flannel to cool him. Phone your duty doctor and ask for advice. We ended up in hospital, where DS had profuse diarroea and the temp dropped off immediately, but their advice on correct dosages and differences in the medicines available was invaluable. Hope he is better tomorrow.

Duty doctor may give advice over the phone.

Igotwheels Tue 02-Sep-08 22:18:19

Oh and i remember Jaamydodger is right. Take him outside in his nappy to cool him. My doctor also suggested this.

ReallyTired Tue 02-Sep-08 22:20:28

Greedygirl, I expect that your baby is constipated becuase he is dehydrated. If the fever is making him sweat alot then his faeces will be harder.

When they have a temperature you need to get them to drink as much fluid as possible.

My six year old has a temperture of 102F which is a big improvement on the 104F it was two nights ago. He threw a tantrum that I won't let him go to school.

Sawyer64 Tue 02-Sep-08 22:29:58

37 degrees is normal body temperature.

Babies are often 37.4 later in the day and this is also considered normal

Ibuprofen or Calprofen or Nurofen is much better at bringing down temperatures.

Tepid sponging and "cool" baths arn't now normally advised as there is always a danger that as the skin cools down rapidly,the baby could start to shiver/have goosebumps,which is the bodies way of generating heat,which in turn will make the "Core Temperature" go up(internal temp)

There is some research to suggest the body should deal with a temperature itself,as the high body temp is a way of dealing with the "infection".

Unless your baby has a history(difficult to assess when so young) of fitting with high temps,it can climb to 40 degrees or higher without causing harm.

But being dosed up with Ibuprofen will keep it in check usually,and it will not keep climbing but start to drop.

Loose clothing is good,but don't allow their skin to feel cold.Dont open windows etc.

Not sure "taking him outside" is a good ideahmm for the reason mentioned above.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now