Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wot's this......Chicken Pox?

(39 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 16:31:03

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 16:43:44

Message withdrawn

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 02-Sep-08 16:47:58

DS had a rash recently, mostly in groin as you describe - it was viral. Ended up being Hand, Foot & Mouth virus. He was a bit miserable, but not unconsolable.

If if doesn't shift - take to minor illness nurse for her to check out?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 16:51:28

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 17:04:15

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 17:15:56

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 18:43:22

Message withdrawn

LilRedWG Tue 02-Sep-08 18:49:52

No advice other than to ask if you have changed the brand of nappy/detergent you use.

BUMP

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 18:51:45

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 20:19:11

Message withdrawn

OneBoyOneGirl Tue 02-Sep-08 20:24:02

Is it definately not thrush? My DS got this quite a lot in the nappy area, much like you described the skin around the spots was not red, just bright red spots - we got some cream and it cleared up straight away.

Im no expert but think if it was chicken pox they would be somewhere else too on the body?? My DD was absolutely covered within 12-24 hours when she had them at 2.1.

onepieceoflollipop Tue 02-Sep-08 20:26:51

I once took dd1 to the GP convinced she had c pox,but it turned out to be a viral rash as RSCG mentioned above. Looked the same though, and half the nursery had c pox so was an easy mistake to make.

GP suggested piriton and that worked straightaway (wouldn't have made c pox disappear obviously). I think your ds may be too young to try a dose of piriton?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 20:29:12

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Tue 02-Sep-08 20:30:01

Doesn't sound like "classical". Would have spread much further much quicker.

Anotehr option (which we have had in teh past) was a bacterial infection. Started with a few pimples in teh nappy and spread up towards the tummy.

I would say get it checked by a GP.

BarcodeZebra Tue 02-Sep-08 20:31:54

DD2 just recovered from CP. Press the bottom of a glass against the spots. If they disappear and then come back when you release the pressure then it may well be CP. Always worth checking these things out though. My GP told me that CP is a notifiable disease so you do need to go to the docs. Or NHS 24 of course...

BarcodeZebra Tue 02-Sep-08 20:32:33

Oh, I meant to say. SHe had tons of spots down there.

DontNeedAnything Tue 02-Sep-08 20:37:05

Well I have never taken my DDs to GP foor chicken pox.

Can't seen the point. They can't do anything, other than say "oh yes it is chicken pox". Waste of their precious time IMO.

not that I diospute that is is notifiable...alhough so is "flu type illness apparently hmm

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 20:39:14

Message withdrawn

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 02-Sep-08 20:40:29

Is cp a notifiable disease? My surgery told me not to bother coming in!

Cp spots will blister after a few hours with little liquid filled sacs rather than pus. They can be anywhere on body including eyelids, mouth, their 'bits'. The spots will continue to appear for up to a few days. They can feel very hot and miserable for first few days too.

Don't have any experience of other rashes, I'm afraid.

Could it be heat rash?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 20:41:30

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Tue 02-Sep-08 20:43:45

I didn't mean you shouldn't take your DS.

What I mean is that if I knew it was chicken pox (and please don't use the abbreviation CP as that is the standard for cerebal palsy) I wouldn't take them.

In your case I stand by my original post. You don't know what it is. You need to get it checked (irrespective of imminent birth).

lulalullabye Tue 02-Sep-08 20:56:18

All rashes bar meningitis will blanch under a glass so unfortunatly not a diagnosis. Cp is dangerous in early pregnacy and late pregnancy.

Dd's cp started in nappy area with about 6 spots the loads the day after.

I would suggest see if she has any more in the morning, and if so go to docs for yourself, there is nothing they can do for her.

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 02-Sep-08 21:14:32

I was told by mw in late pregnancy that if I had already had cp, it was nothing to worry about.

Of course, the hospital probably wouldn't want a poorly child visiting, no matter what the illness is.

Fingers x'd that you will have a speedy labour and be able to go home asap after the birth. Or that he will better before next dc arrives.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 02-Sep-08 21:21:00

Message withdrawn

desperatehousewifetoo Tue 02-Sep-08 21:30:19

I would take him to doc to set your mind at rest then. (It would become clear overnight, I would, imagine if it is c pox).

You can then, at least, concentrate on you! I know my cousin had a blood test to see if she had cp antibodies. Could you request this at the same time if you are worried?

Have the spots blistered (like a cold sore) at all?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now