Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should my toddler go to birthday party on Sat if the birthday girl has chickenpox and I have a 2 month old baby?

(17 Posts)
eviz Tue 02-Sep-08 10:33:18

The subject says it all really! My friend doesn't think it'll be contagious by Saturday but says she understands if people don't want to go.

DD2 hasn't had any vaccinations yet either (cock up by health authority - she is nearly 10 weeks!)

WhaddoIdo?

Seona1973 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:34:03

when did she start getting spots? They are normally contagious until the spots scab over which is about 5-7 days after they first start appearing. If she only started getting them today then she shouldnt really be at the party herself never mind anyone else!!

flack Tue 02-Sep-08 13:37:13

I would go even if I knew birthday girl would be contagious, but then DD had CP at 3 months old and was fine with it (DS had cp at 2yo and also completely unfazed, so would have been totally up for a party), and I would prefer to have my children have the cp over and done with.

Up to you, really.

Tommy Tue 02-Sep-08 13:39:59

if spots have just come out, she should be fine by Saturday.

Guadalupe Tue 02-Sep-08 13:42:41

I wouldn't, because I wouldn't want a little baby with chicken pox. It might be mild but then it might not and you could have avoided it. Depends how much you want to go the party I guess.

JODIEhadababy Tue 02-Sep-08 13:42:42

I think Id be inclined to still go.. DS1 got CP when DS2 was 3 weeks, nothing I could do about it, so he in turn got it, and didn't bother either of them really.

Incubation is 2 weeks so your children probably won't show signs of it for another 2 weeks anyway, and if the Birthday gorl already has spots it's unlikely she'll still be contagious

bozza Tue 02-Sep-08 13:49:22

I would be in two minds. DD (fully breastfed) at it at 5 months and was really upset by it. But OTOH has your DD been mixing with the little girl in the last 3 weeks anyway? Cos chances are she may be incubating it anyway.

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Sep-08 14:05:05

Assume your toddler hasn't had it?

When did birthday girl develop spots? Had your toddler been in contact with her in the few days before that?

If I thought she wouldn't be infectious by Saturday then I would let toddler go, otherwise I wouldn't (really don't want baby with chickenpox).

funnypeculiar Tue 02-Sep-08 14:07:18

Hummm, one of mine had the pox badly, so personally I'd avoid having a baby with chicken pox....

crokky Tue 02-Sep-08 14:08:24

I wouldn't want a 2 month old having chickenpox.

Pheebe Tue 02-Sep-08 17:50:15

Nope, definitely not

toomanyshoes Tue 02-Sep-08 18:03:04

both mine (DD, 3 and DS 8 months) have just had CP really badly. They were both extremely unwell with spots in their ears, mouths etc. DS was unable to feed as his mouth was so sore (he had over 100 spots on his face and neck alone!) and they both had very high temps. They now both have scars that I suspect will be permanent. I would really advise you to avoid getting CP in a baby so young. I wasn't too bothered when I realised that DD would probably infect DS as everybody tells you its not as bad when they are little but it's not always the case! Wish I'd had them vaccinated tbh.

kitbit Tue 02-Sep-08 18:17:34

With a 2 month old I'd probably avoid it.

busymum1 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:24:49

definitely avoid, babies under year often catch again also avoided this with ds2 as he has lung problems and can suffer badly with chicken pox. Dd1 caught at 3 and was fine contagious 21 days before spots until all scabs have crusted over if can avoid do avoid obviously not always possible but think should make effort. I get annoyed when see children shopping, in play areas or swimming when quite obviously still contagious

Beeper Tue 02-Sep-08 19:05:13

Hell No

CrushWithEyeliner Tue 02-Sep-08 19:07:53

HELL No

a newborn with CP why take the chance?

eviz Tue 02-Sep-08 22:14:05

Thanks for your replies, ladies.

Have decided we won't go the party. DD1 hasn't seen her friend for a couple of weeks so will keep fingers crossed it's not lurking in her bod..

Didn't realise you could get an immunisation for it!

Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now