Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd - follow up eye appointment - :)

(16 Posts)
tortoiseshell Mon 01-Sep-08 23:17:40

Dd who was 5 in August has had glasses since Easter, basically because she is long sighted, and her right eye had reduced vision - fairly dramatically lower than the left. For the last 8 weeks we've been patching for an hour a day.

Today, her right eye was massively improved, she could see the same card as with her left, just 2 letters she couldn't do. So 8 weeks more of patching, then recheck the vision, then 6 months or so of just glasses to make sure the vision doesn't drop again, then she should only need her glasses for school work. grin

It is amazing what 8 weeks patching will do!

LargeGlassofRed Mon 01-Sep-08 23:30:07

fantastic news!
dd2 has had patching on and off for 4 and half years.
and now has almost perfect vision.

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 00:19:37

smile - that's great LGoR!

tortoiseshell-that is brilliant!!! really good!!

was that check done wi8th glasses or without?

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 08:56:46

They did it with the glasses on. The reason being, I think, that the glasses focus the vision, but don't actually change how MUCH she can see with each eye I think. Not totally sure how it works tbh, but she's definitely improved. smile

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 08:58:02

WE have our first check up after starting patching today at 1130.

I hope we get good news like yourself, I really dont want DS2 to have to wear his patch for four hours at school.

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 08:58:31

tortiose- how many hours patching did dd have??

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 09:16:04

She just does 1 hour a day atm, but we try and make sure she has something to do that is close work - like Hama beads, or reading, colouring etc. I think that makes it more effective and makes the eye work harder.

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 09:17:07

DS has four hours.

Will let you know how we get on.

Really plesaed for your DD x!!

that is great. ds had his first check a couple of weeks ago and his had improved my five points.
his eyes were practically equal and thats after only 6 weeks of the glasses. they said we may avoid the patching all together if it continues to improve like that.[crosses fingers]

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 09:57:48

tiredemma - hope you get good results too - do you do close work with the patch on? I think it can make a real difference.

tmmj - that sounds really amazing - the patching in dd's case was very much to even the eyes up, so that does sound really promising! smile

TooTicky Tue 02-Sep-08 09:58:56

Does she mind the patching? My ds2 has this to come, following an injury, and is dreading it.

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 10:12:09

She's pretty good about it actually - the first couple of times she screamed the place down about taking it off, as it hurt (it is a sticky patch), but she decided that she could take it off herself, which works fine.

I think because it is part of the routine (get in from school, patch on, reading practice, beads etc) it is ok. It would be harder if she had to do it at school I think though.

She is very good about explaining why she has it on if people come round and ask - she says 'it's to give my good eye a rest so that my bad eye has to wake up and do the work'.

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 12:22:54

Just got back.

His eyesight has improved, but because it was SOOOO poor, he still has to continue with four hours patching a day.

Its longer than I wanted, im really worried about him now at school, but it has to be done.

Tortoise- we do things like reading and jigsaws etc.

tortoiseshell Tue 02-Sep-08 12:31:43

glad things are improving - reading and jigsaws sound perfect! smile

TooTicky Tue 02-Sep-08 15:50:23

That's good to know Tortoiseshell, thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now