Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Update on dd3 mangled hand

(29 Posts)
misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 21:11:35

well we got to the hospital for 8am as instructed. dd3 was first on the list and should've been done at around 9.30am. but an emergency came in so she was finally in theatre just after 1pm. which was a pain as trying to stop a 3year old from drinking for that long is a nightmare.

her fingers have been cleaned up, nail beds repairs and nails put back in to act as splints (thats what i make of it anyway, not being a plastic surgeon myself). she has to go back to plastic surgeons next week for re-dressing and to check her fingers are healing ok.

she is also on a weeks course of anti biotics as she has 'open fractures' on her two fingers.

all this because she had her hand slammed in a door (nobodys fault, was kids being kids and an accident). i am now thinking those plastic concertina things that shops have on their doors (hinges side) should be marketed for home use. especially as the nurse said they have so many of these sorts of injuries coming in to be repaired.

omg misdee-wtf happened??shock have missed this!!!

BoredyHouse Mon 01-Sep-08 21:12:56

Oh bloddy Hell that sounds awful shock Hope she heals quickly!

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 21:13:31

shock ouch Misdee, had no idea this had happened. That sounds agonising and gory. Sorry to hear about her accident.

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 21:14:48

thanks. she is doing well. but is dosed on painkillers still. she liked her 'butterfly' (canula) which the docs fed mil kto which made her fall asleep. she had a GA in the end, which was horrible to see, but she bounced back fine.

tissy Mon 01-Sep-08 21:17:38

misdee, children's fingertips heal fine, they're almost miraculous in their ability to recover. She'll be better in no time.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 01-Sep-08 21:17:45

You should have come back to the other clinic for a natter. I was still there til after 1pm angry.

Glad that the op went well .

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 21:19:42

thats not good CSWS, but they had alaready cancelled my 10am clinic by that point, so i rebooked for next week. i can spend 90mins in there next week then go on down to plastics for dd3 appointment. the confirmed that bump is def dd4 (classic hamburger on scan lol)

RustyBear Mon 01-Sep-08 21:21:34

I got my finger nastily mangled in the hinge of a toilet door at school when I was 10 - it was a bloody mess & they heard me screamat the other side of the school, but it healed OK. My nail on that finger used to split if it grew longer than the end of my finger, but it's stopped doing that now & you wouldn't be able to tell anything had happened.

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 21:22:05

oh good tissy. cos in all honestly the sight of her hand made me want to vomit more than the first time i saw peters LVAD. it was i na bit of a mess, and was soaking through dressings pretty quick from what i could tell.

KerryMum Mon 01-Sep-08 21:23:31

ouch. poor thing!

morocco Mon 01-Sep-08 21:23:50

ouch

poor little lamb. hope it heals asap

DanJARMouse Mon 01-Sep-08 21:26:21

awwww Poor little Serena!

Give her a bug hug from me, and tell Peter to give you a big hug from me too.

Look after yourselves x

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 22:01:26

i would give her a hug but she is fast asleep now lol.

tissy, can i expect her to say her fingers hurt for a while?

Piffle Mon 01-Sep-08 22:05:35

oh poor wee lass. Here is hoping she bounces back fine soonest.
Ds1 had similar awful thing happen to his big toe aged 6
Was worse for me than him he remarked ironically in surgery .
Get well soon little cherub

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 22:28:30

[[http://www.fingersafe.com/salesinfo.html would it be totally weird of me to get soemthing like this installed at our new house?]

because honestly, today has been awful for me, none of my kids have ever had any ops before, and we have had a few cases of pinched fingers and crushed ones, but none as bad as dd3 fingers are so far.

misdee Mon 01-Sep-08 22:30:45

try again

Flamesparrow Mon 01-Sep-08 22:31:45

I have always liked those things

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 09:44:56

i am really trying to decide whether or not to get some for the new house.

DanJARMouse Tue 02-Sep-08 09:47:00

If you can get it done, do it.... I would here too!

MarmadukeScarlet Tue 02-Sep-08 09:47:55

Tey sell similar in IKEA don't they?

I hope she feels better soon.

chipmonkey Tue 02-Sep-08 10:35:08

Oh, misdee, poor dd3! Those things look like a good idea.

CarGirl Tue 02-Sep-08 10:43:15

I have some of the safety first hinge protectors things BNIP somewhere.........cost a bomb, not sure if they are too long to post though!

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 14:43:03

dont worry cargirl, i have a maternitu grant soon and will get some out of that money

RustyBear Tue 02-Sep-08 18:35:27

She might like to have a go on this site to cheer her up (she might need a bit of help from DDs 1&2 though)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now