Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Just noticed that ds birthmark on head is raised - am sure it wasn't before

(9 Posts)
nickymorris Mon 01-Sep-08 19:57:30

Was stroking my 3week old ds's head earlier and noticed that the red circular birthmark he has on the top of his head (5p sized) is raised.

I may be imaginging things but I'm sure it was totally flat with his head before.

Should I panic? I'm seeing the HV on friday so could ask her then but is that too long?

BoredyHouse Mon 01-Sep-08 20:00:08

No need to panic. It is probably a haemangioma. They are v common, and it if that's what it is, it'll almost certainly fade an disappear in early childhood.

BoredyHouse Mon 01-Sep-08 20:00:55

NB - they do tend to grow and become more prominent during the first 6 months.

Threadwworm Mon 01-Sep-08 20:12:49

DS2's appeared and grew larger and more raised over a week or so. Absolutely no need to worry. They fade in time.

nickymorris Mon 01-Sep-08 20:13:55

Great - thanks people - one thing off my 'worry list'

Threadwworm Mon 01-Sep-08 20:14:58

smile

PinkChick Mon 01-Sep-08 20:15:28

when children are warm they raise too, just keep an eye on it as you have been and im sure it will just go back down againsmile

anonandlikeit Mon 01-Sep-08 21:20:21

DS2's haemangioma grew from nothing to a very large raised red angry looking growth on the top of his head.
As the others have said they are harmless & do disappear BUT you do need to keep an eye on it.
When ds2 was about 18mths his suddenly started bleeding & became infected. Apparently this can happen, not trying to scare you its just that we didn't know it was a possibility & it frightened the life out of us.

DS2 is 5 now & his has gone completely but he does have some scarring but it is covered by his hair.

If you are unsure google haemangioma & compare the pics.

DisplacementActivity Mon 01-Sep-08 21:21:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now