Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS..3.5 months hasn't had a poo in 4 days! Is that normal?

(10 Posts)
nush32 Mon 01-Sep-08 12:58:08

Because I'm a first timer. I'm not sure if this is normal. Should I go to the doctor? He does not seem uncomfortable, in fact he's quite jolly but just want to check if it's normal. Waiting for a giant monster poo! Hope we're not out and about when it happens...

bf or ff? if I recall correctly its pretty normal for bf babies to suddenly go a few days without a poo (mine did at one stage will no ill effects at all) can't remember the reason why though. Something about their stomachs suddenly being able to absorb the milk better...?

nush32 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:07:04

He's BF although I have been giving him one ff for the past week!That's probably got something to do with it hasn't it?

It could have. I swapped to ff about your baby's age/ 4 months ish, and it did make a bit of a difference in his poos etc.

I wouldn't worry too much, I think when babies are this young, gp's don't worry too much about infrequent poos, apparently anything up to a gap of a week is fine as long as the poo -when it does finally arrive- is soft and massive, and there's no sign of constipation or dehydration. So as long as his fontanelle isn't sunken and he's feeding ok and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, just sit back and wait for a day or two! It'll be a big 'un! grin

Beeper Mon 01-Sep-08 13:28:30

I am on day 6 with no poo. fully b/f. Record is 9 days. In the heat they want more 'drink' and so the breast produces less of the creamy milk, its the creamy milk that stimulates the bowl motion. Also if they are on a growth spurt they will use up everything. My baby is not in pain and is happy, not going to go the docs for that.

My DS2 is also 4 months old

Beeper Mon 01-Sep-08 13:29:55

PS I am not a first timer.

nush32 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:46:42

9 days! Wowzers. Thanks for reasurring me...I'll just wait for the monster poo then!grin

Beeper Tue 02-Sep-08 19:07:09

Hurrah....Poos appreared today and in big numbers. Hope yours has shifted.

thequietone Tue 02-Sep-08 19:14:03

My 6 month DS2 started solids last week. I'm SO pleased, because prior to this he's been having a poo once a week. When it came, I'd wince in anticipation at what I'd find in the nappy! Now he's on solids it's every day at 11.30am, and not all over his legs...

nush32 Wed 03-Sep-08 16:19:28

I'm on day 7 now and still no poop. Getting nervous about going out...in case there's a tremendous explosion when we're on the bus or something....Little fella still seems happy though. Been reading up on it and apparently this one ladys' ds didn't go for 18 days!!!!!! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now